News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Old looking payphone

Started by oldguy, July 30, 2018, 10:04:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldguy

Does this look worth buying? It's on Craigslist. Looks like a hybrid but might be fun
Gary

rdelius

Jim Stettler

how much?
In the past  If a cool 3 slot was around $100 and no shipping I bought  it.  I like the look. I would pay $150.00 + for a cool telephone.
That is just MY baseline.

What is your baseline?
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

oldguy

Thanks rdelius & Jim, I'm in the city it is listed in today & am hoping to contact the Craigslist seller. If it looks at all good I will buy it. They are asking $110, sounds like a good price to me.
Gary

rdelius

Not a bad price , you might want to upgrade it by putting in a real coin track  if it is not there and locks and a real vault door.

oldguy

I got the phone, it looks to be in great condition. I will look inside tomorrow but I like the upgrade ideas. Will keep you guys updated.
Gary

oldguy

Plugged my reproduction payphone into my into my 1045A & it seems to work great. It has a ringer & 2 gongs on the upper housing. if you drop a quarter or a nickel in, the make a noise when they hit each gong but not the right noise. dimes don't make any noise. Here are a couple of pics of the inside. It's a fake but I like it, since I would never be able to afford an original WE161x
Gary

rdelius

Phoneco had those coin chutes made. You can get a  AE cointrack off Ebay for not much if you shop around

Key2871

Shop around for a AE coin gauge, and mount that in the upper. The network hopefully won't be in the way. I made my own network for my NE 233 to mount on the two standoffs on the back board. Using ITT network parts. I designed the PC board for connections and layout. Then got a G ringer for a WE three slot. That all worked out.
But you could have a real nice set up going there.
Glad you're having fun with it.
KEN

oldguy

I bought a coin chute on eBay, $7.99 + $9.99 shipping. I may have modify the bottom part of the existing coin chute but it will sound good when you drop coins in
Gary

Key2871

There you go, now you're cooking with gas.
It looks complete glad you got the quarter gong, something my NE was missing from another phone Co.
Then I paid too much for the replacement.
KEN