News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Newbie, how bad did I get screwed?

Started by Jrs1958, January 05, 2017, 08:42:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jrs1958

Bought an AE34 for $65 plus shipping.  Arrived, no ringer assembly! Not mentioned.  Body is nice.

WEBellSystemChristian

Wow, you got a great deal!! I haven't seen a single AE34 sell for under $100! The ringer and any other internal parts are probably very easily replaceable. Does that have gold or bare brass trim?

Nice phone!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Nick in Manitou

Seems like a good deal to me.  Nice phone!

Nick

Jack Ryan

Quote from: Jrs1958 on January 05, 2017, 08:42:56 PM
Arrived, no ringer assembly!

An AE 34 without a ringer doesn't ring a bell but it looks like it never had one.

Nice buy.

Jack

Jack Ryan

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on January 05, 2017, 08:46:41 PM
Does that have gold or bare brass trim?

It has black trim. Did I miss something?

Jack

stub

Jrs1958,
             That's not a bad price for your phone . It has the updated capsule transmitter adapter kit for the 38 handset. It has the different mouthpiece, to accommodate the 41 transmitter capsule , and conversion springs . Great find !! stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Jrs1958

Excuse my ignorance, are those "upgrades" a good thing or does it take away its originality?

Jack Ryan

Quote from: Jrs1958 on January 05, 2017, 09:36:22 PM
Excuse my ignorance, are those "upgrades" a good thing or does it take away its originality?

It's not a bad thing and it means that the sound quality might be good. Be careful with the springs though, they break.

Jack

LarryInMichigan

It is not uncommon for AE34s to be missing their ringers, and the ringers are hard to find.  Nevertheless, you got a very good deal.

Larry

Jack Ryan

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on January 05, 2017, 09:48:09 PM
It is not uncommon for AE34s to be missing their ringers, and the ringers are hard to find.  Nevertheless, you got a very good deal.

Larry

Is it? I have seen a lot with the wrong ringer that someone has fitted to replace a frequency ringer.

This one doesn't look like it ever had one and I can't see any loose wires.

Jack

Jrs1958

Is it possible it never had a ringer?  Did AE34s come that way?

Jrs1958

It has very clear marking on the bottom.  Would that indicate anything?

stub

Jrs1958,
             Here's mine with original ringer . If you decide to get one ,the hardest part will be finding the angle bracket that holds the ringer. stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Jrs1958

Bottom is stamped AL 220 AQ or A0. Also stamped FA3