News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Latest (Youngest) Part in your 302 & Widest Spread

Started by winkydink, January 26, 2009, 10:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McHeath

Well lets do some math.  Since I got into this phone thing I've gathered 18, soon to be 19 when my 1500 arrives.  That's in 6 months, so if we keep that up in one year we will have 38.  In five years 190, in 10 years 380 and if I live to 80 there will be 1,444 phones lurking about.

Possibly.
:o

BDM

Or you can start now, and send all your phones my way the minute they hit your door. That way you'll have -0- when you're 80  ;D
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Konrad

Slightly off topic.  The 354 was introduced in 1937.  What new production phone after that would have required a subset with a network?  Yet WE was cranking out new sub sets with 425 Networks as late a June of 1965 (I have one a 685A).  Dang close to 30 years after the phones needing subsets ended production.  Am I missing something?

BDM

Too my knowledge, the 354 was introduced after the war. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

benhutcherson

Konrad,
If I'm not mistaken, payphones still required subsets long after other phones had dispensed with them. So, there would have at least been some market for them.

Also, remember that we've seen evidence that the "Space Saver" mounts were made or at least refurbished through the mid-70s. These, of course, also required subsets.

bingster

I've seen 685/6/7/8 subsets on ebay dated from the early 1980s, even.

It's also important to remember that even when the 302 came out, they didn't drive around collecting all the old phones and replacing them.  Phones requiring subsets could have been in uninterrupted service into the 1950s, 60s, maybe even the 70s.  Repairmen were told to try to pull old station equipment out of houses, but were specifically instructed to leave any equipment in place if the subscriber insisted it not be changed.  So if a little old lady in the 1960s had her 202's subset go bad, and insisted it be replaced, a 685 would probably have been put in.

But after the 1950s, the main market for subsets was payphones, as Ben mentioned.  They were usually tucked under the shelves, out of sight, which may explain why a lot of people don't even realize payphones used subsets.

Quote from: BDM on January 31, 2009, 08:37:38 PM
Too my knowledge, the 354 was introduced after the war. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
That's what I've always understood, Brian.  They were intended to go into production a few years after the 302, but the war interrupted those plans. 
= DARRIN =

BDM

Quote from: bingster on January 31, 2009, 09:19:50 PM
 So if a little old lady in the 1960s had her 202's subset go bad, and insisted it be replaced, a 685 would probably have been put in. 

Remember my great grandmother story? She did exactly that. Right into 73/74, or there abouts. But she had the big black metal subset bolted right to the lower portion of the wall. Boy do I remember the ring from that thing as a kid :)
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI