News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Just bought a 302 for $45.00. I have QUESTIONS!!!

Started by broonzbane, August 04, 2009, 05:57:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phonesrfun

OK.

After going over this, I would say to do it this way.  If this does not work, then please let me know.

W terminal on the dial - connect the Yellow/Brown from the hookswitch
B terminal on the dial - connect both the black condenser wire, and the green coming from the handset
Y terminal on the dial - connect the slate/red wire coming from L1 on the incuction coil
GN terminal on the dial - connect to the blue/brown wire coming from the hookswitch
R terminal on the dial - connect to the yellow wire coming from the handset.

Please let me know how this works.

-Bill Geurts

-Bill G

Phonesrfun

Important:

The hookup I posted before will not work.  There is a flaw.  Tonight I found a dial like yours, and hooked it up to a 302, and here is what will work:

Yellow/Brown from hookswitch to W terminal on the Dial
Black from Condenser and Green from Handset both connect to the B terminal on the dial

The above are the same as before.

Y on the dial - leave disconnected. (Except as noted below if necessary)

Handset yellow and hookswitch Blue/Brown both connect to the R terminal on the dial
Slate/Red From L1 on the network needs to first be moved to the R terminal on the network;
Then hook Slate/Red now connected to R on the network to the GN terminal on the dial.

The SC dial should have B and Y strapped together internally.  If they are not, you may hear faint clicking when dialing a number.  If that is the case, then make a small jumper wire and connect dial terminals B and Y together in addition to the above.

Also note that if you ever go back to a #6 WE dial, you will then need to move the slate/red wire on the network back to L1 from R.

If you had spent any time with my earlier post, I appologize for any inconvenience.

-Bill
-Bill G

Phonesrfun

By the way, if you do not have the small thread screws for attaching the dial to the 302 housing and a rubber gasket, I have hundreds of the screws and I can send you three.  I also know where you can get a gasket pretty inexpensively.

-Bill
-Bill G

broonzbane

Quote from: Phonesrfun on August 06, 2009, 01:36:02 AM
Important:

The hookup I posted before will not work.  There is a flaw.  Tonight I found a dial like yours, and hooked it up to a 302, and here is what will work:

Yellow/Brown from hookswitch to W terminal on the Dial
Black from Condenser and Green from Handset both connect to the B terminal on the dial

The above are the same as before.

Y on the dial - leave disconnected. (Except as noted below if necessary)

Handset yellow and hookswitch Blue/Brown both connect to the R terminal on the dial
Slate/Red From L1 on the network needs to first be moved to the R terminal on the network;
Then hook Slate/Red now connected to R on the network to the GN terminal on the dial.

The SC dial should have B and Y strapped together internally.  If they are not, you may hear faint clicking when dialing a number.  If that is the case, then make a small jumper wire and connect dial terminals B and Y together in addition to the above.

Also note that if you ever go back to a #6 WE dial, you will then need to move the slate/red wire on the network back to L1 from R.

If you had spent any time with my earlier post, I appologize for any inconvenience.

-Bill

Okay.  This got me a dial tone for the first time!  A faint one, but I got one!  Is the volume on these phones supposed to be very low?  However, the dial tone continues to be heard while dialing numbers--the dial turns don't seem to be registering.  It's not long before the 'off the hook' tone/alarm begins to sound.  Any ideas?

Also, I'd like to take you up on your offer for screws.  I'll send an email with my address.  Thanks, Bill!

Bill

Bill

Phonesrfun

Well, gee whiz.  To answer your first question, your dial tone should be loud and clear....just like a "normal" phone.

I will mull this over today, but in the meantime, can you send a picture of the back of the dial as it is now connected?

One thing you might do to see if the dial tone gets louder is to disconnect the handset yellow and hookswitch blue/brown from the R terminal on the dial, and whild holding them together with your fingers, so they are connected to each other, connect the phone and see what that does.  That little experiment will tell us something.

Then also look at the contact switches that extend from points  Y and B.  They should be resting against a cam that will rotate when the dial rotates back to home from being turned.  The cam lobes should open and close the Y and B switch; once for every digit dialed, and 10 times for a zero.  That switch should be connected together when at rest.

Got your e-mail - I'll send a few screws and some washers out this evening.  It can't hurt to have a couple spares.

-Bill

-Bill G

broonzbane

I'll have to do it next week.   :(

I'm pursuing a master's degree, and am working on a final project for this semester.  By next Thursday, my schedule will be clear and I can post that photo.  We're making progress!  Thanks, Bill!

Bill

Phonesrfun

-Bill G

broonzbane

Gracias and 73's!!!  Got the screws today!  Much appreciated.  I also got a chance to take the photo you requested.  It is attached.  Oh yes, the two terminals 'inside the dial' you mentioned in the previous post are indeed strapped together.

Unfortunately, I won't have much time to devote to this until Saturday.  The daughter is sick... :(

Thanks, Bill!

73's de KB3KLQ!

Bill

Phonesrfun

Well, the dial is hooked up the way I indicated.  I guess that Saturday we will need to do some troubleshooting.
-Bill G

broonzbane

Well it appears that won't be necessary, Bill.  Hooked it up again today, and all was good!  Full volume.  Dials properly.  Rings when called.  Now I just have to clean it up a bit!  Thanks for all your help!!

73's de KB3KLQ

Bill

Phonesrfun

Bill:
Well, we won't argue with Success!

Good work.  Post a picture when you are done.

-Bill Geurts
KD7PTG
-Bill G

broonzbane

I don't think I'll be doing a full restoration--too much time and energy involved.  I rather like the 'worn and well-used' look anyway, as it (IMHO) speaks to the authenticity and story behind the device.

But that's just me!  I'll post pictures anyway when it's done!

Bill

HobieSport

Bill/Broonzbane; Just me, but I rather like the worn and well used look also.

I've only got one completely and expertly refurbished super shiny phone, inside and out, that I bought just to have as an example, and because it was also born on my birthday. It's absolutely beautiful after all these years (can't say the same for me), but I'm afraid to even touch it. I might get fingerprints on it or something.
-Matt

broonzbane

Well, aside from cleaning out the grunge from the interior of the phone, as well as the crusted-on earwax and spittle, I'd just assume leave the phone in the condition in which I received it.  Just to remind me that someone's history--their daily life--is still connected to this phone somehow.  I'd just hate to wipe it all out with some wet sandpaper and car wax (or whatever!).  I'll never know the story behind this phone, but I'll continue to create one of my own.

But then again, that's just me.  I do not begrudge anyone for bringing these pieces back to their original glory!

Bill

Phonesrfun

Hey, there is nothing wrong with leaving them as is.  Nothing at all.  Most of mine are that way.  I definitely do not claim to be running a museum.  Mostly I clean them up.  I buy way too many things, and I have sold a very, very few items, so I am not in the business to make them nice for selling.

I like to have them be nice, but I realize there is no such thing as perfect.  I will clean them up and do some polishing and shining where appropriate, or to do a repair.  Like Hobie, I do also have a couple that are pretty special to me that I have gone all out on, but for me all that work detracts from the hobby. 

My biggest thing about collecting phones is making sure they work.  So, my slant is from the electrical/electronic side.

-Bill
-Bill G