News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

SC 1197A in Red, Brown, Cream and Clear

Started by tubaman, February 20, 2021, 07:03:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tubaman

I thought you'd like to see these coloured SC 1197A which are all for sale in the UK by the same seller.
Red - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-Red-No-1197-Stromberg-Carlson-Handset-Telephone-1930-s/402689667483
Brown - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-Brown-Bakelite-No-1197-A-Stromberg-Carlson-Handset-Telephone-1930-s/402689683924
Cream - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-Cream-Bakelite-No-1197-A-Stromberg-Carlson-Handset-Telephone-1930-s/402689698266
Clear - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-Clear-No-1197-A-Stromberg-Carlson-Handset-Telephone-1930-s/402689709862

The description is much the same for each - here's the cream one:

Rare Cream No 1197 A Stromberg Carlson Handset Telephone 1930's.
I personally love these little Stromberg Bakelite telephones from the 1930's, it's the shape and I always hunted out for the rare colours.
Originally would have been paired up with a no 1156 desk set box, from memory the ringer induction coil and condenser was housed in the desk set. Faded Special 1197 stamp on the bottom of the cream felt. This telephone would have been a special order only back in the 1930's.
This telephone is for restoration only.
Condition. These phones are notoriously fragile and mine is showing that to be true, thankfully no splits or cracks on the body, please see my pictures. Inside rust, mould dirt, dust and heavy corrosion on the inner plate. I can only get one screw to hold on the base plate now I have taken the bottom off. Lots of little nibbles, scuffs, hairline scratches and tiny splits all around the card holder. I cannot guarantee every single little piece is inside, this phone needs to be lovingly restored to her former glory. I cannot turn the earpiece or mouth piece, gawd knows what is happening inside there, but I am not going to force them.
Please look at my pictures as they help my description.
Thank you

All are in a similar rusty state inside but are still very nice.
I've never seen these in anything but black and it looks like they are going to get expensive.
This seller is auctioning a lot of phones right now and most are very desirable ones.

< Edit 02-20-21:  Auction images added >

Doug Rose

Tubaman....those are stunning sets. I have never seen the Red or the Mottled Brown. The cases tend to shrink, but these look very good.....Doug
Kidphone

HarrySmith

Those are amazing phones! The rest of his collection is very impressive as well. WOW!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

tubaman

Quote from: HarrySmith on February 20, 2021, 03:12:10 PM
Those are amazing phones! The rest of his collection is very impressive as well. WOW!

So true, I'd love to know how they got so many very rare phones.
:)

TelePlay

No real major snipe battles in that all phones stayed about where they were during the last 24 to 36 hours.

The color phones stayed under £300 ($415 US): 1) £250 - Brown; 2) £254 - Red; 3) £292 - Cream.

The clear went cheap at £92 ($130 US).

Shipping was £50 ($70 US) each but I suspect combined shipping would have reduced the total cost considerably.

tubaman

@TelePlay, thanks for adding those details - you beat me to it.
The Red, Brown and Cream all appear to have gone to the same buyer.
I suspect the clear was a lot cheaper because of the badly repaired break to its handset - still a good buy though.
One slightly odd thing is that the seller ended the auction for the cream phone about seven hours early. It is marked as sold so I don't know why that was.

Jim Stettler

The amazing thing is, other than the clear handset, These phones did not have the typical shrinkage issues.
Jim

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: tubaman on February 21, 2021, 03:39:28 AM
So true, I'd love to know how they got so many very rare phones.

One at a time over a long time is my guess.

When you start feeling jealous of other collections, It helps to look at your own collection.
Most folks on this forum have at least 1  cool HTF telephone. Most members have  several.

The best way to build an affordable cool collection is to buy/sell/trade spare telephones. This gives you a cash stash that you can use to buy overpriced cool telephones and still afford food and shelter.

Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.