News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Telechron AB-712 'Alarm-Lite'

Started by NorthernElectric, October 29, 2015, 03:35:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NorthernElectric

Since I started getting interested in Telechron clocks, there are a few that have been on the top of my list to get.  2 of these are the 711 'Telalarm' and the 712 'Alarm-Lite'.  The only obvious difference between the 2 that I can see is that the 711 has vertical grooves on the front below the dial and the 712 does not.  I think I like them both equally so when the opportunity arose to buy this AB-712 I did.  This one seems to be in decent original condition, has all it's knobs, and glass intact.  The cord will need to be replaced as most of the outer fabric is missing and it looks a bit iffy but I couldn't resist plugging it in and trying it.  The light and alarm are working but the hands don't move, but I was expecting this from the seller's description.  I will have to see if I can lubricate the rotor or get a working one.  I think this will make a nice project.

One of the other clocks on my most wanted list is the 355 'Cathedral' and I have one on the way.
Cliff

LarryInMichigan

It looks like there is quite a bit of interest among phone collectors in Telechron clocks.  I am glad that I am not alone.

This model uses a B rotor.  Refurbished B rotors sell for high prices.  Depending on what is wrong with it, it may or may not be repairable.  Often what is needed is a good cleaning which requires dismantling the rotor, and that can be a challenge on B rotors. 

I always very strongly urge clock collectors to clean the movements before running old clocks because an amazing amount of hard, sticky dirt and grease can collect, creating alot of friction and and making the rotor/motor do far too much work to turn the gears.  On these models, be ultra careful when cleaning the dials.  The numbers and markings come off much more easily than the dirt.

Join the Telechron forum (http://www.telechron.net/forager/index.php) for information and help.  The owner of the forum, "Pappy", is most probably the world's foremost expect on Telechrons.

Larry

NorthernElectric

It's alive!  I bought a working 355 Cathedral for parts that had a bit of chipping on the back edge and a crack on the thin part of the back panel.  It arrived in the mail today and I swapped the rotor into the 712 which is now fully functional (I had it cleaned up and waiting).  The only trouble now is, that the 355 looks better than the sellers photos and the damage so minor that I want to get it running too, so I'm keeping my eye out for another parts clock.  I had a pretty good idea that this would happen, because I already have a 355 and love it.  I'll have to take some catch up photos soon of the Cathedrals, the 2H27 Advisor I got last week, and the 711 Telalarm that I have on the way (in working order according to the seller).

I've been having better luck finding clocks than I have phones lately it seems.
Cliff