Main Menu

1957 aqua 500

Started by finlover, October 06, 2010, 01:34:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

baldopeacock

Quote from: JorgeAmely on October 06, 2010, 03:32:27 PM
Quote from: finlover on October 06, 2010, 02:40:58 PM
Quote from: HarrySmith on October 06, 2010, 12:07:25 PM
You used peroxide on it? Just peroxide or the retrobrite formula? I tried retrobrite on a yellow phone handset and it was disastrous! I have been reluctant to use it on color phones, only white or light beige since.
I use kind of a modified retrobrite formula: 1 cup 20 volume peroxide, two rounded teaspoons xanthan gum and 1 teaspoon glycerin.  I find the OxiClean powder unneccessary.  In my experience the only color to be careful with is pink, which tends to blush easily.

Greg:
Psst, psst, you forgot the secret ingredient: a hair from the tail of a widowed cow from the Texas plains.

...glad there's no Eye of Newt or Toe of Frog in that formula, none of the stores around here have carried either one for a couple of years now.

JorgeAmely

Quote from: Kennyc1955 on October 06, 2010, 03:35:12 PM
I would have never thought to have said that i would said something like hair of a toad  or something but only you could think of that ;)

Kenny: "It's a hobby, it's supposed to be fun!" - phrase borrowed from Doug  ;)
Jorge

JorgeAmely

Quote from: baldopeacock on October 06, 2010, 03:42:22 PM
...glad there's no Eye of Newt or Toe of Frog in that formula, none of the stores around here have carried either one for a couple of years now.

On the other hand, you have to travel to a Texas plain and ask the cows around. If you don't use this ingredient, all phones turn into Oxford Gray phones, not a very desirable result when you are trying to bleach a faded white phone.
Jorge

finlover

Actually, the secret ingredient is Krylon Frost Blue--just kidding!

finlover

Quote from: Phonesrfun on October 06, 2010, 03:17:52 PM

Do you use a UV light source, or just let it do its thing without UV?
I use a fish tank light intended for coral so I can "cook" my phones at night, but the good old sun will work too.  One thing to remember is that the gel stops working when it dries, so if you leave the piece outside in the sun either put it under an inverted glass bowl or cover it in plastic wrap.  Remember to check it every couple of hours to make sure it isn't blushing (like a Jorge in church ;D).

HarrySmith

darn Greg! Is this what you were expecting it to go for?!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

baldopeacock

I'd sure like to see a "before" pic of this one, Greg.

At $370 final price, can you estimate your "hourly rate" on this phone?

I'm going to be in Austin this weekend.   Do you teach phone resto magic?   I wish my two gray 500s looked this good.

Doug Rose

Quote from: JorgeAmely on October 06, 2010, 03:47:18 PM
Quote from: Kennyc1955 on October 06, 2010, 03:35:12 PM
I would have never thought to have said that i would said something like hair of a toad  or something but only you could think of that ;)

Kenny: "It's a hobby, it's supposed to be fun!" - phrase borrowed from Doug  ;)
Jorge...you are correct sir and Greg has 370 reasons to like his hobby tonight.....Congrats Finlover, great phone; GREAT price.......Doug
Kidphone

JorgeAmely

Quote from: baldopeacock on October 12, 2010, 10:31:36 PM
I'd sure like to see a "before" pic of this one, Greg.

At $370 final price, can you estimate your "hourly rate" on this phone?

I'm going to be in Austin this weekend.   Do you teach phone resto magic?   I wish my two gray 500s looked this good.

Finlover does restorations. Ask him for a quote.
Jorge

finlover

Thanks, gents--I'm as surprised as you are! :o  And to think I've put off listing this one because of that crack repair.  It sold to one of my regular customers who has I think four of my phones.

I've probably got around 3 hours of restoration time in this one so it paid off--THIS time.  I've had phones that were just as good sell for less than $100.  For the record, I usually charge $80 to $110 plus shipping for restorations, which normally doesn't include cleaning up the insides.  For forum members there would be a special price though. :)

KeithB

What?!? No eye of newt?  ;D

finlover

It's tongue of horny toad if you must know. ;D

baldopeacock

I managed to find the before pictures of this phone on eBay.   I remember it, had it on my watch list thinking it was better than it looked or was listed.

Still, if you did that much to it in three hours, you've got this down to a science.   Or that newt eye and horny toad tongue is really good stuff.

finlover

Okay, maybe it was more like 4 hours.  I enjoy restoring them so much that time tends to fly!

baldopeacock

Quote from: finlover on October 13, 2010, 08:46:35 AM
Okay, maybe it was more like 4 hours.  I enjoy restoring them so much that time tends to fly!

Either way, that's a pretty good hourly rate you earned on this phone.