"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The end of Nortel

Started by Eman, July 01, 2011, 03:29:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eman

old_stuff_hound

I interviewed at Nortel in late 2000 or early 2001. I talked to 6 managers at a job fair and got 6 offers (and it's not because I'm that good! ;-) They said consider them, pick one and call back within a day to start negotiating. I did, and when I called back they said, "Oops! There's been a hiring freeze." I think they've been on the decline ever since. Sad....

deedubya3800

Wow. How long has this been coming? I didn't know anything about it.

rp2813

I really liked using Nortel's electronic business sets.  They only worked on Nortel DMS switches, though.  It was a real PITA designing a EBS system and provisioning it for a customer, but the phones were a joy to use.  I prefer them over the AT&T ISDN phones I had to use when my office was moved into a building served by a 5E switch.

I guess that's it then.  There's nothing left of Ma Bell's manufacturing unit that hasn't been handed off to somebody else.
Ralph

AE_Collector

Ralph:

Are you referring to Nortel Centrex sets such as m5208 and m5316? If so, they are still being made by Aastra now I guess. The whole Centrex system is getting old now but we seem to keep installing it here.

Terry

rp2813

Terry, yes, those are the phones I was referring to. 

I'm glad they're not extinct!
Ralph