News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

GTE 881 Speakerphone

Started by WesternElectricBen, January 06, 2013, 05:39:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WesternElectricBen

I have a GTE call director, it's a 2 liner but it's in the form of one. I will post a picture... Though I'm crimping on a new moodier jack and don't know which wires to use (there are 6) see picture. If you could tell me anything that would be great.
Ben

xhausted110

looks like a keyphone. my only experience is with 25 pair cables, so, try the center 2.

- Evan
- Evan

G-Man

Slip a standard 6p6c modular plug on the end of the flat cable and crimp it. Then plug it into a standard a standard 6p6c jack wired to lines one and two.

If you plug it into a regular 4p4c jack, only line one will appear on you telephone, which by the way is not a (Western Electric) Call Director or an (Automatic Electric) Call Commander. It is a speakerphone with a Plantronics headset adjunct installed..

The photo is somewhat blurry so it is difficult to pinpoint the specific model though it appears to have been field modified with the unlabeled chrome switches.

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: G-Man on January 06, 2013, 06:51:26 PM
Slip a standard 6p6c modular plug on the end of the flat cable and crimp it. Then plug it into a standard a standard 6p6c jack wired to lines one and two.

If you plug it into a regular 4p4c jack, only line one will appear on you telephone, which by the way is not a (Western Electric) Call Director or an (Automatic Electric) Call Commander. It is a speakerphone with a Plantronics headset adjunct installed..

The photo is somewhat blurry so it is difficult to pinpoint the specific model though it appears to have been field modified with the unlabeled chrome switches.

Sorry, now that I look back at it I see what your saying. I will post a new one, are AEs call directors called call commander?
Ben

G-Man

Quote from: G-Man on January 06, 2013, 06:51:26 PM

I see where I messed-up; if you plug it into either a standard 6p6c or 6p4c (not 4p4c) jack you will still be able to access lines one and two.

It is possible though that unless it is line-powered, the speakerphone may not work if the remaining two wires are not connected through the 6p4c jack to an external power source. Difficult to say without being knowing the model number.

WesternElectricBen

Pictures! What model is it?

AE_Collector

AE 881 Speakerphone, replacement for the 880 Speakerphone.

It isn't a multiline phone or a Key System phone. The two yellow buttons are labelled On & Off. The two clear Buttons should be labelled "Mute" (mutes your microphone) and something else. Off to see what the other one should be....

It needs power in on the 3rd pair as it is not line powered like the 880's were. I believe that pair two provides "A & A1" for Key System use.

So this would not be called a Call Director or a Call Commander model.

Terry

xhausted110

hmm.. that's interesting. looked like a 1A2 or 1A1 phone.
- Evan

G-Man

The label on the bottom tells the story, the end of the line cord you showed is wrong for this set. The label states an rj-11 plug should be used. This was not manufactured as a two-line set, it is a single-line set that someone may have hacked for two-line operation with the addition of the two toggle switches. That is only a guess since we have no way of knowing what their intended function was.

The missing key caps and their designations added to the confusion. They should be labeled RECALL, MUTE, ON, OFF.

881-A SPEAKERPHONE
Provides convenient hands-free conversation. Words are transmitted clearly, even when spoken at substantial distances.
The 881-A is completely self-contained. All components, including microphone and speaker, are mounted inside.
There are four control buttons: RECALL, MUTE, ON and OFF. RECALL terminates a call and reaccesses the line without
having to hang up. MUTE cuts the microphone out of the circuit while a speakerphone call is in progress, to prevent
transmission of a private conversation to the other party on the line. ON and OFF are used to switch from speaker to
handset operation.

Type 881-A Speakerphones, desk model.. . . .
Basic Black. . . . . .
Beige.. .
Basic White. . . . . . . . . . . . . .
(All phones include matching facemat and clear plastic faceplate.)
None Offered. (NOTE: This suffix must be included in complete
ordering number.). . .
Rotary Dial (ABC letter/number designation on facemat) .
Touch Calling Unit: l2-button ABC... . . .
Straight-Line Ringer. . . . . . .
Ord. No. ND-881

WesternElectricBen

Ah ok, so how many wires do i need for functioning?

WesternElectricBen

One thing I'm going to say, is that the added switches my guess is

Switch 1: maybe that is the line.

Switch2: I don't know what it does, all it does is make a echoing sound in the handset.
Ben

AE_Collector

Centre two are tip and Ring. Outside two are for power. They used a 6 wire cord that went into a splitter arrangement that inserted power into the phone on the third pair.

Isn't that a power supply on the right edge of the first picture?

Terry

G-Man

Also, there are three cords shown in the second set of photos coming out of the set. 

One of those cords may be used in conjunction with the power adapter that is partially shown in the first set of photos.

The last cord may have been used in conjunction with the two  toggle-switches that were hacked into the faceplate.

AE_Collector

We used to love all of the AE/GTE phones with faceplates as it was so simple to put power fail buttons into them for PABX's without having to drill the case etc. Now as phone collectors we curse it but I guess a hole in the faceplate is still better than a hole in the case elsewhere.

Terry

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: AE_Collector on January 06, 2013, 07:49:59 PM
Centre two are tip and Ring. Outside two are for power. They used a 6 wire cord that went into a splitter arrangement that inserted power into the phone on the third pair.

Isn't that a power supply on the right edge of the first picture?

Terry

Yes, it is a power supply which seems to just light the on and off switches.
Ben