News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1961 Western Electric Model L/M

Started by Dennis Markham, March 03, 2013, 03:31:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Markham

I have been contacted by a web visitor that is trying to get this telephone to work properly.  It's a 1961 500 set marked L/M on the bottom.  It has a four conductor line cord and a terminal strip under the dial.  I have solicited help from our own poplar1 who has been gracious enough to offer suggestions however he has not seen photos.  

I thought I would post some photos here in order to diagnose the problem and to have the information for future reference.

Here is the problem as the gentleman describes it:

"I have made calls and received calls,, though sometimes it would not???recently when someone would call my house all they would hear is a buzzing sound- and my phones(i have two, the rotary and a modern one) would not ring,,,first thing i did was remove this rotary phone from the line--- then my other pulse phone was back working fine-- ringing, getting calls."

If all else fails it can be wired as a stand 500, but if possible he'd like to get it working leaving the original wiring scheme for this phone.

Thanks for any and all assistance.

~Dennis

paul-f

The difference between a 500M and 500D is the use of the A-lead hookswitch contacts on the black and yellow mounting cord leads.

It's possible they could be interfering with the house wiring.  Simply disconnect them at the terminal strip or at the wall end of the mounting cord.

If the phone still misbehaves, it's time to check the wiring against the diagram in the Library or 502-580-405.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line