News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Phone number card`

Started by wds, February 27, 2015, 08:02:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

Many many years ago when I was very young, we had a party line phone.  I remember my mom commenting about how people would jump on the line and listen in to conversations, plus it was hard to dial out because of all the neighbors on the line.  Our phone number was Hickory 3  2192.  Later our phone number changed and that number we had for probably another 30 years until they moved.  I would like to print a number card for my Dad's D1 with the old party line number on it.  How would this card have been printed 50 years ago?  Would Hickory have been abbreviated - and would the numbers take two lines? 
Dave

unbeldi

Here is a HIckory party line card from telephonearchive.com

PS: I would guess this one is from the mid to late 50s.

I made this one up, if that helps.

Doug / Autonut

Sargeguy

I can see of I can print some out for you.  What is the area code and the name of the town?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

wds

These are nice, thanks.  You what is amazing is that I still remember those phone numbers.  I can't remember the phone number of my cell phone, but I can remember a phone number from 50 years ago.
Dave

NorthernElectric

I see there are a few other replies while I was making mine, but here's another to choose from.   :)

Cliff

wds

Greg, it's Columbus Ohio, (614).  Although back then we weren't in the city yet - we were swallowed up later - maybe about the time we got off the party line and had our own phone number.

Cliff & Doug - do you know how I can get these to print to scale?  They seem to want to print on an entire sheet of 8 1/2 x 11 paper.
Dave

NorthernElectric

Quote from: wds on February 28, 2015, 07:59:35 AMCliff & Doug - do you know how I can get these to print to scale?  They seem to want to print on an entire sheet of 8 1/2 x 11 paper.
In order for it to scale properly, the program you are using to print it with must a) recognize the dpi (dots per inch) attribute of the image (mine is 600dpi), and b) must be set to print at actual size according to the images dpi.  The one I made was created as a 600dpi (dots per inch) image and cropped to 1.5x1.5 inches.  You can look to see if there are any options that control scaling on whatever program you are printing from.

Or you can try this pdf full page version and print with Adobe reader making sure that 'Page scaling' is set to 'None' on the print dialog.
Cliff

NorthernElectric

I took the liberty of turning Doug's into a pdf for you as well.

Cliff

wds

Thank you, that's much better.
Dave

NorthernElectric

One other thing.  Doug's card is designed to be a bit undersize so you should leave a small white border when you cut it out.  This will be covered by the dial card ring.  I'm not very good at cutting things freehand, so I made mine to be cut right at the edge of the card with no border because I found that easier for me.
Cliff

Quote from: NorthernElectric on February 28, 2015, 09:00:25 AM
I took the liberty of turning Doug's into a pdf for you as well.

Thanks Cliff, I wasn't sure how to do that. Everything works fine for me when I print them out on my printer.

Doug / Autonut

persido

I took a crack at a few cards

Scot

andre_janew

I'd love to have the dial card from my grandmother's phone.  It was a Lawrence, Kansas number and probably printed on a 913 card because the 785 area code hadn't been established when it was printed.  Her number was VIking 3-3614.  Even though she was on a party line, they didn't put the party line code on the card.

persido

For you Andre_Janew

Scot