News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Old telephone stickers

Started by TelePlay, January 16, 2011, 10:37:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GG

We dial 911 for ambulances in the cities here in the US.  In many rural areas the ambulances are connected with the volunteer fire departments, also 911.  

In addition to the 911 dispatch centers, each local police, fire, and paramedic department has its own local 7-digit number.  So in the event of a natural disaster that takes out the 911 dispatch center, you can still call for help with those local numbers.

Comes to think of it, it would be worthwhile for anyone in an area subject to natural disasters, to post those local numbers next to their phone.  Also post your local police non-emergency number so you're not tempted to call the emergency number to deal with issues such as "the folks next door are having a drunken party and it's 3:00AM" or "some nitwit parked in front of my driveway."  

Willytx

The area where I live has only had 24 hour 911 service for the last 10 years or so. Before that, you had to call the Sheriff's office for any emergency after 5pm. The local phone book had the Sheriff's phone number printed on the cover but they never did include stickers to put on your phone.

twocvbloke

There's actually a new "Non-emergency" number that been rolled out across England (not sure if Scotland has their own) over the past year, 101, that's for non-urgent calls that require the less-than-emergency services, a little easier to remember than the number for the local cop shops and whatnot...  :D

Means I'll have to adapt my GPO dial labels to include it though...  ::)

DavePEI

We have two non-emergency numbers here on PEI, both recently added.

In an attempt to lighten the load on emergency rooms, there is a non emergency medical number where you can talk to a nurse to discuss problems and to decide whether you should take your concern to emergency. That number is 811.  This number is administered by a company in Halifax. Having called it only once, I found on that occasion it was useless - there was a 1.5 hour delay until you could speak with a nurse.

http://www.healthpei.ca/811

The Department of Highways now has a road condition number (511) where you can call to get road reports, i.e. snow coverage, traffic etc.

http://www.511.gov.pe.ca/en/

That is in addition to the usual 911 service.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

baldopeacock

Quote from: paul-f on January 20, 2011, 12:44:00 PM
Doug,

Thanks for reminding me about the dial rings.  I've pulled them off sets for years and haven't paid much attention to them.  I found several hanging on a bracket in the basement.  It's interesting to see the variation in shapes, materials and topics.

I don't think I've ever seen an aftermarket dial ring designed for anything but Western Electric-type dials.   They wouldn't work on an AE dial.   Anyone have samples?

paul-f

Good point.  I have removed a few WE-style rings from AE phones. They didn't look right.

Here are photos of a few that were designed for AE dials...
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line