News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

seeing RED.....

Started by Babybearjs, December 18, 2017, 02:53:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

OK, now this is getting annoying... everytime I see a colored phone on Ebay, especially key sets... the sellers want top dollar.... what gives with colored phones anyway.... they don't seem scarce to me.... especially RED!
John

Dan/Panther

If you look at the completed items section of any search, you will most likely see, a good portion of those high dollar auctions did not sell. You can ask what you want but that doesn't mean they will sell. When listing on eBay, I check the completed listings. That will give you a more realistic idea of the market value of an item.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

twocvbloke

Quote from: Babybearjs on December 18, 2017, 02:53:37 AM
OK, now this is getting annoying... everytime I see a colored phone on Ebay, especially key sets... the sellers want top dollar.... what gives with colored phones anyway.... they don't seem scarce to me.... especially RED!

Try finding a cheap Red or Green GPO 232 or 332, "cheap" doesn't exist with those... :-\

Babybearjs

John

TelePlay

Quote from: Babybearjs on December 19, 2017, 12:26:51 AM
yeh...whats up with that????

Basic market supply and demand and when price is set way above market, it doesn't sell unless someone really wants it. At that point, the market demand price is increased to the overpriced sale point and it sells, which means the high price really wasn't outside the market demand "will pay for" price range. Then it's just a savvy and/or lucky seller supplying what the market demanded at that high price the market was willing to pay for it.

Babybearjs

yet, all these sellers have cell phones and probably don't even have a landline... its funny how people go out and find these things and then want top dollar for something no one will use. I see these things online for as low as 9.99 at a starting bid and then some antique dealers thinking they have gold....wanting a collectors price for something that will just get looked at.... Or... they give it away, and then stiff you with the shipping.... so now comes the real question..... does anyone still know what the actual retail price of a red 500 rotary dial phone was? what did it actually cost a business to buy a 564 or a 2564? after 1984....everything was sold, not leased.... and not made anymore..... because Western Electric closed their manufacturing arm for telephones and went into the audio business.... even the pay phones were sold.... and how much did those cost to buy???
John