News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Trimeline ringer problem, won't ring except when . . .

Started by TelePlay, December 18, 2017, 05:21:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

I have an AD1 Trimline dated 10-71.

It does not ring. Opened it up, hooked line to L1 and L2 and still didn't ring.

Got the wiring diagram (below) except the diagram does not have a Blue wire. The 63A ringer has a Blue, Black, Red, Slate and Slate/red wire. The Slate and Slate/Red were not connected (spade lugs were inside black plastic tubes).

Moving the line to different ringer points on the network, I found that there were some terminals that would make the clapper move only once, hit the gong once and stop.

Took the ringer out and apart. Checked the resistance between terminals shown on the diagram. All readings matched the diagram and the resistance between Slate/Red and Red was 2500 ohms (not shown on original diagram).

Clip wiring the ringer Slate terminal to L2 (Black to L1) and the ringer worked as normal.

Clip wired the Slate terminal to K and the ring did not move even once.

Put a brand new 0.47 uF cap in between Slate and L2 and it did not ring.

Seems the capacitor is keeping the ringer from working.

Also, the 5,000 ohms from Black to Red in the coil is to high and the ringer will only work if L1 and L2 is connected to Black and Slate and without the capacitor (with a 1,000 ohm resistance).

So, what's up with this? I could not find the BSP 502-322-400 written for AD1 Trimlines made before 10-1-72.

The network (lettered in RED) and ringer images are also attached below. This is a rotary Trimline and the ringer is out of the phone at this writing.

Any suggestions on what to do, what the problem may be, how to fix it, what to do (smaller cap maybe) including anything additional to test or try?

Thanks for any and all help with this. This may be my first Trimline troubleshooting problem. Works fine otherwise, just no ringer.

poplar1

Quote from: TelePlay on December 18, 2017, 05:21:04 PM
I have an AD1 Trimline dated 10-71.

It does not ring. Opened it up, hooked line to L1 and L2 and still didn't ring.

Got the wiring diagram (below) except the diagram does not have a Blue wire. The 63A ringer has a Blue, Black, Red, Slate and Slate/red wire. The Slate and Slate/Red were not connected (spade lugs were inside black plastic tubes).

They are insulated and stored because they are used only for billing the tip party on a party line.
The blue wire isn't needed either.

Black ringer connects to L1.
Red ringer connects to K.
Black strap from L2 to A

Think "red and black" the same as ringers in 302s, 534As, etc., where the ringer has only 2 leads.
Don't think about 500s where a C4A ringer uses all 4 wires.

The original AD1 bases (with spade tipped D5AL cords) had the black ringer wire connected to G. Then, the yellow and green wires were connected to the same terminal on the 42A connecting block or the 505A 4-prong plug.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

poplar1

You may want to put the biasing spring in the low position. It appears to be in high tension.

TelePlay

Quote from: poplar1 on December 18, 2017, 09:04:22 PM
Black ringer connects to L1.
Red ringer connects to K.
Black strap from L2 to A

That worked. I still think the ringer was "frozen" in one or both of two pivot points because as I got the clapper to move using the slate and black wires, it stuttered at first and then went continuous. After that, it worked using black and red with a .47 uF cap in the circuit.

Knowing that, I put a bit of dial oil on the two parts that pivot/move and rang it for a minute or two so the oil would penetrate the axles and bearing points. Put it back into the phone and the rings works well now. Has a nice ring with a long sustain.

The black strap wire from L2 to A was not on L2, the lug was on A and the other end is soldered to A.

So, thanks for the help. Now on low bias, wired correctly, put back together and no parts left over. That's always a nice feeling.

poplar1

Quote from: TelePlay on December 20, 2017, 07:42:08 PM

The black strap wire from L2 to A was not on L2, the lug was on A and the other end is soldered to A.

The AD1 base had a 5-conductor spade-tipped mounting cord, with a large plug on the set end. Here is the diagram from BSP 502-321-400, Issue 2, May, 1968. This shows the strap going from A to A, the blue ringer lead on B, and the slate and slate-red ringer leads stored. If a 5-conductor HANDSET cord was used on individual lines, you had to disconnect the blue ringer wire.

Note that later BSPs said to change the wiring on any AD1s manufactured before 1972....

AE_Collector

Don't know about the WECo version of the Single Gong Ringers but the AE version can be quite temperamental. I recall doing battle with one a couple of years ago and couldn't get anything happening. Then I noticed that the permanent magnet had fallen out of the ringer!

Terry