News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I am the proud new owner of a WE202/My first!

Started by Snake, March 22, 2012, 07:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snake

Hey everyone, I just won this on ebay: http://tinyurl.com/my202
I couldn't believe only one person bid, and I think I stole it considering the price things have been going for on ebay, it having a ringer box, and it's local so I can pick it up. It's my first 202, as well as my first phone that's older then a 500... So needless to say I'm very excited. I'm hoping for no disappointments when I see it, it's got some wear, but I think it just adds character on a phone like that. I love the dial card. Let me know what you guys think!  ;D

canuckphoneguy

WOW!!! That's an awesome price for that phone. Looks great too. How did you manage to find it? I need to get better at ebaying!  ::)

Snake

Quote from: canuckphoneguy on March 22, 2012, 07:44:39 PM
WOW!!! That's an awesome price for that phone. Looks great too. How did you manage to find it? I need to get better at ebaying!  ::)

I found it in local listings under "vintage phones", but what's strange is, is it seems a lot of the stuff that's local to me doesn't show up when you search for it on all of ebay. It's really weird, but also irritating because it means there's a lot of deals out there I'm not seeing!

bingster

That's a great price for a D-mount alone, and since you got a proper subset to go with it, it's an amazing price.  You got the deal of the day, there, no doubt about it.  Nice job spotting!
= DARRIN =

Greg G.

Great find for a good price!  These are by far my favorite phones, although I prefer them with the E1 handset.  I'm wondering about that subset, I've only seen the ancient "black box" types.  What model number are these?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Phonesrfun

The subset he has is a 685A, which has a 425 type network in it, so it is built around 500-type technology.  Therefore that subset while not politcally correct for an original 202, can still be used.  In fact, the 685A subset was routinely used for Continental and Imperial style 202's in the mid and late 1950's when they were available.

In order to properly match a 202 base with a 425 type network, you need 5 wires in the mounting cord to fully take advantage of the features of the network, or you need to use the modified way of connecting a 4-cord 202 base with a 425 network that is described in a prior post from a while back.
-Bill G

bingster

For those wondering, Bill is referring to the fifth diagram down on this page:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=784.0

...which is based on experimentation he did a while back.  That diagram's configuration basically converts the function of the 425A network to the function a 101A or 146A induction coil, the last two being the coils used in the older, more "proper" subsets.

At the end of the day, I must say the little 685A subset is my favorite of all the subsets.  It's small, the ringer volume is adjustable (and can be made insanely loud), it's performance is the equal of any older subset, and connection of a four-conductor mounting cord is supremely easy. 

My one complaint is that the cord must exit the top mouse hole, as having it exit the bottom mouse hole would cause the cord to interfere with the ringer.  A side hole beside the network would have been a very nice addition.
= DARRIN =

Phonesrfun

Good point about the cordage and mouse-hole.
-Bill G

Snake

Just got the phone today, the shipping guy's took my phone to Oregon and back before getting it to me... and the person who sent it was only a half an hour from my house.
But anyways I got it all fixed up and working. There was no line cord coming out of the back of the ringer box, so I rigged one up by stripping a 2 wire modular plug line. Luckily part of the original line cord was still inside and connected so I knew were to connect the lines. I plugged it in and it works beautifully. After I tested it though I noticed that none of the lines connected to the ringer box and the phone had restraints, so I did the best I could by disconnecting the lines, and making some solid knots on the inside part of the phone and ringer box.
I got a little worried when I first opened the package and many nuts and washers were pouring out of the ringer box, but I collected them all up, and found that they were just screws that went to places on the terminal that didn't have any wires connected. Someone must have just took them out and left them loose in there?
This phone is currently now my new desk phone, and I'm VERY happy with it. Even more happy with it knowing I got it for 40 bucks and change.  ;D