News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Uh, phone postcard saying you're fired?

Started by Greg G., September 27, 2009, 05:32:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Not sure I understand this, but has "You're Through!" changed meaning over the years? 
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

bingster

"You're through" was a common telephone phrase in the early days.  Operators would tell callers that they were "through" (connected), upon completion of the dialing portion an operator-assisted call.  For example, "You're through to Baltimore, sir."
= DARRIN =

Dan/Panther

Then what is the card suppose to be saying.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Greg G.

I think it's an early version of general greetings to a friend.  Here's the rest of them:

http://tinyurl.com/ycd2ndw
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

bingster

Quote from: Dan/Panther on September 27, 2009, 01:59:52 PM
Then what is the card suppose to be saying.
D/P
The headline indicates that the sender is now "connected" to the recipient, and can go ahead and express his greeting.
= DARRIN =

Greg G.

Is the phone depicted on the card and actual candlestick model I wonder? 
- Mike Row
e

rp2813

I noticed this same term when I got sucked into watching "American Idol" last season.  They'd tell people who did, in my opinion, marginally well in their audition, "You're through!" which I presumed meant to get lost, but it actually meant they made it onto the show.

Ralph
Ralph

HobieSport

I sort of guessed that it meant as Bingster pointed out that your call has successfully gone through.

It certainly is confusing that some folks may still use the term in American Idol and such. (I admittedly don't watch that stuff) when it sounds like something Donald Trump might say: "Your Fired".  "You're through" sounds so much like "Your over; done with, kaput. You'll never work in this town again."

All archaic semantics aside (hee hee, sorry, I just like playing with words) the cute little poems on the early 19th century postcards remind me of the Victorian little poems that I'd read in my grandmothers' graduation book way back when. Anyone remember those? They were like the forerunners of Halmark Cards or something, and kind of trite yet honestly sweet.

Okay, I'm through.
-Matt