News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

This 532 can FINALLY wish someone a Merry Christmas!!

Started by Jester, December 26, 2010, 11:59:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jester

As a few may recall, I won a nice plain vanilla(all black) 532 last August.  It took awhile between projects to get it cleaned up, so I didn't start putting it back together until October.  As I was doing that, I discovered it had almost no dialtone.  My troubleshooting led me to the conclusion that the amplifier was where the problem started.  I was all set to post this subject to the forum when another 532 showed up on ebay--cheap!  And, as I discovered, the amp. circuit was in fine shape.  This worked out well for me, as I had decided while I was cleaning up the first one to present this to my parents as a Christmas gift.  The base, net. & ringer are dated 12/55, and the base has two extra refurb. dates stamped in vermillion.  The dial is a 7G-3 with an extra set of shunt contacts that are wired to the amp. side of the receiver circuit.  The handset is dated 11/57, the caps(soft plastic) & elements are all 1/58, the handset cord is vinyl, dated II 59 & the mounting cord is NOS rubber courtesy of Cliff Sullivan, dated II 54.  The cover is also a replacement, dated 1/57.  Mom was quite happy with it & had me set it on the shelf next to all the others I have given them.  It is the "newest one in their little line up, but it still looks like it belongs to me.
Stephen