News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

W.E. 102, 202 and subset easy wiring diagrams

Started by bingster, March 14, 2009, 02:53:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vinhvinny

I am using  the 425E network from my WE500 as the subset  for my 202.

Can someone show me how to test the voltage before and after this subset is hooked into it, to make sure that my made up subset actually works and will prevent damage to the handset?

Thank you

b3tamax11

Quick question, I just picked up a Northern Electric 584DX subset off of eBay, it looks pretty similar to a 584 subset, I am assuming it is fundamentally the same as far as wiring goes?

unbeldi

Quote from: b3tamax11 on June 12, 2016, 04:33:02 PM
Quick question, I just picked up a Northern Electric 584DX subset off of eBay, it looks pretty similar to a 584 subset, I am assuming it is fundamentally the same as far as wiring goes?

Is it really labeled 584 ?
It should be a 684BX, as it has a 101A induction coil.

Here is the wiring schematic:

b3tamax11

Checked the eBay listing again, definitely stamped 584 DX. Perhaps this subset was tinkered with and rebuilt on the base of a 584?

unbeldi

I see, the 584DX was a bell box only, without an induction coil.
So, someone added the induction coil to the box and turned it into a 684BX.   I think they used the same base plate.
They probably also had to exchange the condenser, I doubt they would have let the 584DX a 195A condenser pack.

PS: looking at those pictures, I am not sure I can see four leads coming from the condenser, perhaps the capacitor was not changed.

PS: No need to change the condenser, the NE catalog says that the 584DX also used the same condenser.

b3tamax11

I got my 584DX/684 subset with the 101A induction coil today in the mail, and I have everything wired up according to the 101A coil wiring diagram on the first page, however the phone doesnt work at all. I noticed that in the original diagram, the terminals for E and GND are labelled as L2 and R on my set. Is my wiring situation different than the diagram?

unbeldi

Quote from: b3tamax11 on June 23, 2016, 05:24:47 PM
I got my 584DX/684 subset with the 101A induction coil today in the mail, and I have everything wired up according to the 101A coil wiring diagram on the first page, however the phone doesnt work at all. I noticed that in the original diagram, the terminals for E and GND are labelled as L2 and R on my set. Is my wiring situation different than the diagram?

Yes, the terminal board in the 584DX needs different terminal designations than the 684BX, because it doesn't have the induction coil with its terminals.
You just have to repurpose them according to the 684 diagram.

PS:  your wiring seems ok.

b3tamax11

Attached for reference is the wiring inside the set itself. At this point I feel like it could potentially be the handset cord which is the problem. It's the original one to the set and the spaded wires are very brittle and somewhat cracked.

EDIT: I put another handset with a new cord onto the set to test it and it works perfectly. Time to get a new handset cord!

dsk

My D1 has a diagram from
Associated Telephone Co LTD 
Still it fits best here under WE phones.  It has an AE dial (as described in diagram) and My home-made subset are based on a Kellogg circuit.

dsk

Babybearjs

You know, I hate this at times.... I so used to wiring the 302's that I always try to wire the 202's to match the 302's wiring scheme.... using a 5 wire subset cord.... instead of the 4 that is always shown... you have the green and yellow, that would be equivalent to the blue-brown and yellow-brown wires, the red-white direct to the line and the black from the condenser and the red receiver wire direct to the coil... its frustrating when you get so used to wiring thing the same way that when you try to follow another earlier schematic it screws you up.... because you know where the wires are suppose to go....
John

poplar1

It's true that there are 5 wires from the top section of a 302 to the base. However, you can rewire a 302 using only 4 wires as follows: Move the red handset wire from R onthe induction coil to R onthe dial. Also, move the red/slate jumper wire from L1 to R on the induction coil. This makes the wiring equivalent to a 202.

The only difference is that when the dial is operated, in the original 302 wiring (5 wires), tip and ring are shorted except when the dial pulse contacts open. In the modified circuit, the primary (L1 - R) of the induction coil is still in series rather than a complete short. This has little effect on the square wave of the dial pulses.

The 202 circuit with 4 wires connected to a 302 base, 634-type or 684-type subset is correct. However, the black condenser wire should not be connected directly to the induction coil (L2-Y terminal). Rather, it connects to the black mounting cord lead from the 202. The green wire from the 202 is equivalent to the green (not the brown-blue) hookswitch lead of the 302. The yellow wire from the 202 is like the yellow (not the brown-yellow) hookswitch lead in the 302.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

markosjal

Years ago I  bought a simple answer only telephone . It was an AE style handset, with NO DIAL. I took it apart and later cloned it into a WE type handset. It had inside, a simple network of Capacitor, varisor and 2 resistors ( I remember the components formed a square) and an on/off switch  and slapped a Buscom SoftTouch on it. This served me well for many years.

This "Mini Network" as I recall was a 1uf cap and I think one resistor was 330 Ohms.

I later stuck one in a WE 202 and used that for many years as well.

Unfortunately I have lost the diagram.

It is much like this on page 12 but without capacitor across the switch and this one is missing 2 components.
http://oldphoneguy.net/images/oldtex22bw.pdf
If anybody else knows of this circuit, please share.
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

Phonesrfun

Try this link:  This circuit has been discussed as a "cheater" subset.  It really works quite well.  No antisidetone compensation, and a little less than optimum in gain but it really works quite satisfactorily.  Notice that for a 202, there are 4 wires;  Red, Green, Yellow, and black.  Just tape and store the black wire as it is not needed.  With a little ingenuity, you can probably figure out how to just put it directly inside the 202 base.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=2849.msg39770#msg39770

Basically, the resistor goes in series with the transmitter to divide the voltage between the resistor and the transmitter.  The receiver goes across the resistor, but with the capacitor in series with the receiver.  The capacitor keeps DC out of the receiver, but allows the AC signal to pass to the receiver.

-Bill
-Bill G

markosjal

That is a more simplified circuit , and nearly identical to the one I linked to on the Paul F Site.
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

unbeldi

Quote from: markosjal on May 11, 2017, 09:32:49 PM
Years ago I  bought a simple answer only telephone . It was an AE style handset, with NO DIAL. I took it apart and later cloned it into a WE type handset. It had inside, a simple network of Capacitor, Variac (or varisor) and 2 resistors ( I remember the components formed a square) and an on/off switch  and slapped a Buscom SoftTouch on it. This served me well for many years.

This "Mini Network" as I recall was a 1uf cap and I think one resistor was 330 Ohms.

I later stuck one in a WE 202 and used that for many years as well.

Unfortunately I have lost the diagram.

It is much like this on page 12 but without capacitor across the switch and this one is missing 2 components.
http://oldphoneguy.net/images/oldtex22bw.pdf
If anybody else knows of this circuit, please share.

What is an answer-only telephone ?  No transmitter ?   A manual, no-dial phone is good for answering and originating.

Circuit for the RC 'network':
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=10617.msg112976#msg112976

The term 'mini-network' is generally accepted for the small PCB-based transmission units by ITT and AE, which are perfectly well-performing AST hybrids.