News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Get 3 wire phone to work on 2 wire house?

Started by dc4code, July 09, 2018, 02:22:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Key2871

On the network is a raised three terminal block type of deal.
From the front of the phone, left is R for Red transmitter, and White receiver. The middle is the BK or just B on some network's, black transmitter goes there. The far right on the raised area is GN the other White receiver goes there.
The carbon grains in the transmitter can get packed, removing the capsule is best, then tap it sideways on a hard surface turning it as you go. The should help the part there.
I have heard of a way to service the governor on these dials.
But I don't know how. Perhaps someone else does.

And John, I didn't want to get into all the technical stuff about fumes, etc my work place I used a large, loud fume extractor every time I soldered. And I used two types of flux, yes both were nasty to breathe in. Never had any trouble with OSHA, or the state. I have severe asthma, so I need to take every precaution when using anything that produces fumes or dust. It wasn't my intention of turn yet another post into an OSHA lecture but you did. Have fun with it.
KEN

dc4code

Quote from: Key2871 on July 10, 2018, 03:34:56 PM
From the front of the phone, left is R for Red transmitter, and White receiver. The middle is the BK or just B on some network's, black transmitter goes there. The far right on the raised area is GN the other White receiver goes there.
The carbon grains in the transmitter can get packed, removing the capsule is best, then tap it sideways on a hard surface turning it as you go. The should help the part there.
I have heard of a way to service the governor on these dials.
But I don't know how. Perhaps someone else does.

And John, I didn't want to get into all the technical stuff about fumes, etc my work place I used a large, loud fume extractor every time I soldered. And I used two types of flux, yes both were nasty to breathe in. Never had any trouble with OSHA, or the state. I have severe asthma, so I need to take every precaution when using anything that produces fumes or dust. It wasn't my intention of turn yet another post into an OSHA lecture but you did. Have fun with it.

My wiring is correct and I replaced the transmitter with a new one let me double check my wiring and get back to you although I think its configured as you said.

HarrySmith

If the dial is giving you trouble you can always send it to Steve Hilsz. He will repair, clean, lubricate & calibrate for only $6.00! I send all my dials to him that need repair or are going on a phone I intend to keep. Can't beat that service for the price and it is not worth it for me to even try! Plus I do not have the proper equipment for calibration.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

Ken...we are a friendly place. We have disagreements but always try to be adult. Only one having fun with it appears to be you.  Glad to have you aboard. It's a fun place with a lot of really smart folks always trying to help. We treat each other with respect. Welcome to the Forum...Kidphone
Kidphone

dc4code

Quote from: HarrySmith on July 10, 2018, 04:24:47 PM
If the dial is giving you trouble you can always send it to Steve Hilsz. He will repair, clean, lubricate & calibrate for only $6.00! I send all my dials to him that need repair or are going on a phone I intend to keep. Can't beat that service for the price and it is not worth it for me to even try! Plus I do not have the proper equipment for calibration.

The dial is fine it's how I wired it I think. everything works completely fine just the microphone isn't working and I tried replacing it and my wiring for the handset is correct on the network

Key2871

Glad the dial works. It's easy to connect, one lead (green) goes to F on the network, the other (Blue) goes to RR. The two white go to R and GN. Those are the "click " shunt leads so you don't hear the clicking loud in the ear.
Transmitters have been known to go bad. But if you have tried another from a known working set, it could be the coil cord. Using your VOM in diode or continuity check each lead at each end, moving the cord as you do so you can see if you get an open (no continuity) or if it works. Your getting there, good luck.
KEN

poplar1

Not exactly. Facing the front of phone, the network terminals closest to the front are C - GN - B - R.
So the handset connects to the terminals you indicated (white to GN, black to B, red and white to R (on far right).
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

poplar1

Quote from: dc4code on July 10, 2018, 02:52:33 PM
I only have 1 more issue the microphone doesn't appear to work i tried another handset and still..

It's not the network because I took it out of a working environment

so I think it's a wiring issue, any common wiring problems related to microphone not working? It might be my dial wired incorrectly.

Have you already checked for continuity of the red and black handset cord wires from end to end?
Also, make sure that both contacts inside the handset are bent up far enough to touch the back of the transmitter. They should be at approx. 45° angle.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.