News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Ebay global shipping program.

Started by sebbel, November 29, 2013, 12:12:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twocvbloke

And yet people can happily post mobile or landline phone numbers to text or call to discuss the items outside of ebay.... ???

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: Doug Rose on January 25, 2014, 08:39:01 PM
Larry....they nailed me with it and I got a warning next time we would be suspended for 30 days. Not worth it.

They must have become much stricter in the past few months.  They must be doing their management training in North Korea.

Another option is to look up the buyer's real name and ebay handle elsewhere.  Chances are that they have an account somewhere else, such as a forum like this, and can be contacted through it.  I have found some people that way.  A phone number might also work.  One more possibility is to list the items on etsy with an obvious description, such as "reserved for Bob in Australia" and tell the buyer to look on etsy.

Larry

dsk

Some sellers are named by their email address.

Very often I get this about shipping:

Shipping and handling    This item will ship to Norway, but the seller has not specified shipping options. Contact the seller and request a shipping method to your location.

When seller are located in USA, I use to suggest USPS just because of my good experience with USPS to Norway.
USPS has always been what it ends with, and have bad experience with FedEx and DHL, so when that's the only option, I pass.

When I buy a phone, the postage are often more than the item, so I'm careful.

dsk

PS
That risk of getting something different from what I really want, and costs are maybe the reason for why I not have a 3slotter prepay phone.   Paying more than $200, adding on some 30% in VAT tax and customs, and not getting what I want scares me.
DS

DavePEI

My experience using Global Shipping has been pretty good. Don't misunderstand - this doesn't mean that I like the program.

In many cases sellers won't ship to Canada unless they use Global Shipping. Why? The only reason I can see is they don't want to get involved in filling out Customs forms, or because they are afraid that if the Customs Gods find an error in the form, that they will be be visited by the MIB. Global Shipping allows you to buy these items. This is how I wound up using GSP in the first place. Many times, one will come across items from sellers who normally won't ship to Canada. More times than not, they are selling the very items I am looking for. One seller who wouldn't ship to Canada also offered shipping via GSP. I decided it was the only way I would be able to get it, so decided to take a chance. I had the same misgivings about GSP others have mentioned.

Here is a breakdown of the advantages/disadvantages as I see it.

Price? After buying a number of items this way, I find that the cost of shipping is about par with USPS at least on smaller items, and cheaper on larger items. Fact is, though one way or the other, it costs much more to ship to Canada than to other states. Many in the US are shocked by the difference, but sadly we are used to it.

Global Shipping does take a few days longer, as the seller first has to ship the item to them, and Pitney Bowes fills out the customs forms and sends them on their way. In the items I have received this way, some have gone on directly to USPS, and a few have been given to Canpar (courier), go to Ontario (Canpar's head office), whereupon they have been transferred to Canada Post and shipped expedited post.

The disadvantages are the added time to ship, and the fact due to the many transfers, parcels sent this way are hard to track. The number shown on MyEbay is just the tracking number to Pitney Bowes. Once they forward it, a new number takes over and Ebay doesn't update the MyEbay number. You will however, receive an email giving the new number.

There is a long time between the time you get the new number and the time it will show up on the Canada Post site. On the day PB ships it, you will see a shipping info received notice on Canada Post, but then it can be a week before it gets into Canada, is rescanned and you get actual tracking information. This is my biggest peeve with the service. It can take even longer if the parcel goes through another intermediary such as Canpar.

So far, all shipments received have gotten here in very good condition.

Countering people's claims this is more expensive than sending USPS, I find the opposite is often true. On smaller items, cost (including PBs share) is about the same. On larger items, I have found Ebay Shipping has the advantage. Two recent purchases for an example.  Recently, I have has a couple of almost identical weight/size items sent from the US, one via USPS, and one by Ebay Shipping. They both weighed 14-16 lbs, and both were about the same size. The one which came USPS cost $69 something to send, and the one through Ebay Shipping cost $45.00.

As far as USPS/Canada Post not sending all parcels to customs, by law, you are still required to report the purchase and pay GST on it. Lots of people don't and figure that they don't have to, but yes, by law, whether you pay on receipt or later, you are still required to pay. There is a possibility one could eventually receive a bill from Revenue Canada. Thankfully, because of Free Trade, there are no longer any duties to be paid, only taxes in either case.

So, basically, what Pitney Bowes (aka Global Shipping Program) do is act as a customs clearance/freight forwarder. There is a charge for this, but not exorbitant.

For anyone having problems with Global Shipping, the following info may help:

http://www.pb.com/services/Mailing-and-Shipping/International-Mail-Services/index.shtml

More on the Global Shipping program from Ebay naming Pitney Boes as their shipper:

http://pages.ebay.com/shipping/globalshipping/buyer-tnc.html

Pitney Bowes Customer Service/Ebay GSP number: 1-888-727-0781 - best number

email: pbisgspcs@pb.com

Anyway, as I said in the beginning, I don't like the Global Shipping Program, but it does have some advantages. I still prefer good old USPS/Canada Post. Both are better than using UPS and Fedex with their exorbitant customs clearance charges payable on delivery, and tracking is available and continuous from the day it is mailed. The number one advantage is that many Ebay sellers will ship to Canada whereas they won't by USPS. The only reason I can see for that, is they can't be bothered to fill out the customs forms.

Photo below: Me as I await an item coming Global Shipping!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

WesternElectricBen

Yeah, I agree, it seems like a pain, but it is better than nothing..

I take it, in that picture, you used CamWow? hehe..

Ben

DavePEI

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on January 26, 2014, 09:49:49 AM

Ben
Nope:

Just a little fellow who took over my office after the space ship landed :) Acrually it is an HD Microsoft Studio Cam with Microsoft LifeCam software. Could do without all the add-ons, but it works well in full HD. Big improvement over my cheapie Chinese cam...

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: DavePEI on January 26, 2014, 11:00:09 AM
Quote from: WesternElectricBen on January 26, 2014, 09:49:49 AM

Ben
Nope:

Just a little fellow who took over my office after the space ship landed :) Acrually it is an HD Microsoft Studio Cam with Microsoft LifeCam software. Could do without all the add-ons, but it works well in full HD. Big improvement over my cheapie Chinese cam...

Dave

Hehe, I need to get myself one!

Ben

dsk

First now, I understand how stupid the  Global Shipping Program are.
I want to buy an $10 item and shipping to Norway are $20 (no surprise) then they ad another fee for handeling and tax (who never comes on regular shipping via USPS) and the fee are $20!!! 

Now I have to find a way to go around the system!

dsk

DavePEI

Quote from: dsk on April 13, 2014, 11:55:43 AM
First now, I understand how stupid the  Global Shipping Program are.
I want to buy an $10 item and shipping to Norway are $20 (no surprise) then they ad another fee for handeling and tax (who never comes on regular shipping via USPS) and the fee are $20!!! 

Now I have to find a way to go around the system!

dsk
Yes, but it is that fee which pays the customs and tax charges when the package is received there. You don't have to pay it additionally when it arrives. In many countries, duties and taxes must be paid before an item is delivered. This pre-pays those taxes so that it goes direct to the addressee.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

Doug Rose

Kidphone

dsk

Great, and I guess we have got a new member today, mainly interested in selling, but still we may be the lucky ones to get first when it is BIN!

dsk