News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Metal Subset Ringer With Plug attached....

Started by John S, April 02, 2014, 03:25:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John S

Hi-

Need some ideas....

Does anyone know what this plug is suppose to do? Never seen anything like it.  Looks like it plug into something.  It feels like Bakelite.  I have no idea what the purpose of this was.  Here are some pictures.

John

rdelius

I have seen this connector on German dials that were mounted in metal case that would sit on a desk-top

HarrySmith

It looks like it would plug into a female connector of another cord but I have no idea what it would be used for.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Phonesrfun

Oh, heck.

Call it steampunkt and put it on eBay.

No clue here.  Probably some home-brew job.  Rdelius probably has the connector right, but even then it is hard to imagine what or how it was connected on the end.
-Bill G

paul-f

It looks like a 4-conductor male plug, so would presumably mate to a 4-conductor female jack.

Since red and white wires in the cord go to L1 and L2, it's most likely for the CO line.  Trace the rest of the wiring to deduce the purpose of the other two (probably ringing).  It doesn't use standard color coding conventions.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Dan/Panther

My guess, it's an adapter for foreign use.
Or Not.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

BDM

I say custom plug. Allowing the subset/phone to be moved around to different locations.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

LarryInMichigan

It looks very similar to the plugs which were used on Israeli phones.  On the one I have here, the inner diameter is about 4mm, and the smallest outer diameter is about 7.5mm.  The length of the narrowest part is about 6mm, and the middle part is about 4mm long.

I cannot imagine what an Israeli connector would be doing on a WE subset, but I imagine that these connectors were used for other purposes.  Does the connector have any markings on it?

Larry