Buyer Beware

Started by johnfin, March 02, 2009, 11:32:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnfin

Just a heads-up for people wanting to buy parts from:

www.oldphoneworks.com

www.houseoftelephones.com

technosave inc.

This is a canadian guy who loves to take your money and not provide the goods.
Multiple names and companies should have been the warning sign here.

Sargeguy

I have bought lots of stuff off of Oldphoneworks.  While their prices aren't exactly bargain, I have never had a problem with an order that they haven't corrected as soon as I made them aware of it.  What was your problem with them?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

BDM

Yes, please elaborate? I haven't had any issues either.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

benhutcherson

Yes, I'm curious to know too. I've always had great luck from Old Phone Works.

rp2813

I've found Oldphoneworks to be OK when I've done business with them.  Prices weren't too bad either, but it really depends on the item(s) you're buying.  Very curious to know more about your experience John.  The Canadian postal system is notoriously bad, so maybe they're the problem?

Ralph
Ralph

Dennis Markham

I have only ordered from Oldphoneworks once.  That was several months ago.  My order arrived within a week.  I have since placed an order, a week ago today.  Since I placed my order I have not heard from them.  Last time after I ordered they sent a confirmation that my parts were on the way.  I have not received that this time which makes me nervous.

As far as House of Telephones, that business as most of you know was purchased by Oldphoneworks probably in September or October.  The previous owner, Odis LeVrier in Texas had an outstanding reputation for quality, friendly demeanor and price.

The jury is still out on the quality of the cords as they are being manufactured by Oldphoneworks.  However, they were trained by Odis' people using the same equipment so I would expect that the quality will remain the same.  So far the prices for cords have been unchanged.

Otherwise I think their prices on some things are a bit steep.

From what I understand Don Woodbury is the owner of the business and a member of one or both of the phone clubs.  He has always been a gentlemen when I have read his e-mails to the membership.  The people that answer the phones there have always been friendly, courteous and helpful.  So I'm interested too to see what kind of issue you had there johnfin.

bingster

House of Telephones was a separate company until recently.  It was the main (and maybe only) source of repro telephone cords.  After the decline in health of the owner, the company was sold to Old Phone Works.  There's nothing remotely shady about that. 

My own experience with the company is very positive.  I've found them to be very helpful, and their products are excellent and reasonably priced (unless you're buying an actual complete, restored telephone--they're extremely pricey).  I haven't had problems with shipping, either.  Despite the fact that there are often significant delays with cross-border mail nowadays, I've always received my orders quickly.

What was the nature of your problem?

= DARRIN =

Perry

I have placed a number of orders with oldphoneworks. The only problems I have had are slow shipping (maybe because it's from Canada?) and the fact that sometimes things that appear to be in stock on the web page are not really in stock.

johnfin

I placed an order with them via a direct email, promply sent the money and only part of the order came and the invoice did not reflect complete order. Did not respond to emails either. Most people on this thread have mentioned their high prices. Can anyone recommend a decent US vendor of parts and pieces for telephones?

Dan/Panther

The only issue I had was  a $20.00 item, when it arrived was marked $4.95, but I'm not complaining, I like the item, and the service was fast. I've dealt with them several times.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

BDM

Quote from: johnfin on March 02, 2009, 03:15:11 PM
I placed an order with them via a direct email, promply sent the money and only part of the order came and the invoice did not reflect complete order. Did not respond to emails either. Most people on this thread have mentioned their high prices. Can anyone recommend a decent US vendor of parts and pieces for telephones?

Did you call to rectify this?
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Perry

Quote from: johnfin on March 02, 2009, 03:15:11 PM
I had a somewhat similar experience, and was charged both for the items sent and for items that were not in stock and were not sent. He responded quickly and refunded the overcharge, though. I attributed the problem to lack of organization rather than fraud.

McHeath

Interesting experiences.  I've bought several items from Oldphoneworks in the last year and had zero problems.  Yeah, they are a bit high priced, but shipping has been fast and the parts exactly as advertised.  My most recent purchase was in Feb, and it was here in California quickly and as described.

Of course that does not negate your bad experiences Johnfin, yet for myself they have so far been proven trustable.  That of course can change if they start to blow my orders as you've had happen to you.

johnfin

So, what other venders do you guys use?

bingster

Some folks use phonecoinc.com, which is run by another telephone collector.  He's got a good reputation, but his website leaves a lot to be desired.  You can't really see what you're getting, so you kinda have to go on faith.  Personally, I only use oldphoneworks for that reason.
= DARRIN =