News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Which would you keep.

Started by Dan/Panther, March 02, 2009, 09:34:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

I have two phones, of which one must go.
Both have later date cases and handsets.

One is dated 7-54 all original, except for a 59 dial.
The other is an all original 9-61.

Keep in mind both have later dated cases, and handsets.
Whuch would you kepp, both in great shape.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

McHeath

Oooo, tough choice.  I'd keep the one I liked the look of better and had no personal attachment to.  Since I like old stuff, but also like stuff from the 60s, I keep the 61' model.

Just my two cents.

Dan/Panther

I'm leaning towards the 61, but sure as shoot, the minute I get rid of the 54, a 54 dial will show up.

D/P

benhutcherson

Dan,
I have a drawer full of 7C/7D dial mechanisms, and may have a '54. I'll check and let you know.

Dan

I'd keep the 50's one. I'm trying to get a 50's in every color (hard or soft plastic)
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dan/Panther

Ben;
Let me know what you find out. We can make a deal.
D/P

Dennis Markham

Dan, what dial do you need from 1954?  I mean what color code?  Black?  I'll look thru mine too.  What month?  Or aren't you that specific?

Dan/Panther

Dennis;
The dial is soft centered Red, the rest of the base is dated 7-54/10-54
I have a 54 black phone that is basically for parts, are dial marked for a specific color, or would any 54 dial be acceptable ?

D/P

Dennis Markham

Dials of that vintage are marked with a color code on the back.  When they came down the assembly line the color of the plastic numbers/letters dial bezel matched the color code on the back of the dial.  A phone with a black dial bezel would have the code -3 on the back side of the dial.

If your phone was completely original then it may be important to try and find a dial that had the appropriate color code and date on it.  Otherwise, if there are a mixture of dated parts, but "generally" from 1954 then narrowing the dial to 1954 would be nice but not absolutely necessary.  I guess it all depends on how important all that matching stuff means to you.

Below is a photo of the back side of a dial showing a color code of -53 (Red).

Dan

Dennis, this is the other Dan (Dan to the second power, Dan squared...)

I need a dial  from 1955 in ivory -code 50 . Let me know If you have one. Thanks
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dan/Panther

Dennis;
This is Dan, the other Dan, not the square Dan, the Straight Dan. :o :o :o

Here is aphoto of the color code on the dial, it says 7D 3 (no 5), then barely readable 5-56.
What does the 77 designate, and also there is 61L on the rim, and 2L69 on the opposite side from the color code.

One more item, would this originally have had leather feet ?
D/P

benhutcherson

Dan,
Sorry, I don't have any '54 dials-the oldest I have in my parts box is '56.

Dan/Panther

Ben;
Thanks for taking the time to look.
D/P

Dennis Markham

Dan, I don't know what the 77 designates.  The original 3 indicates the color code or what is known as the color "suffix".  I have seen them with and with out the minus sign.  I don't know what the small 3 indicates.  The two numbers with the "L" may be a repair date, although I cannot think of what "L" may mean.  It seems unlikely to me that in 1969 they would still have been repairing a #7 dial.  More than likely it would have been removed from service.  But again, I'm guessing.

A model 500 with a date of 1956 would indeed have had leather feet originally.  It wasn't until 1959 that they were manufactured with the larger neoprene feet.  I think the small round ones with a ridged edge came about in 1964.

If you haven't seen it before, you can see a time-line of historical facts here:

http://tinyurl.com/57xf7p

Sargeguy

Anyone have a black plastic housing dated 7-52?  Just thought I'd ask.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409