News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

GPO 2/722 Trimphone Arrived

Started by LM Ericsson, January 26, 2012, 05:31:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LM Ericsson

I bought this nice trimphone on ebay back in late november, and just arrived today. It came all the way from Mumbai India. The phone is supposed to be the two-tone blue, but is very discolored from the sun. The only problem that I have noticed with the phone is on the handset, it looks like it broke-in-two in the past and was glued back together. All-in-all, a nice one. It has already been converted to RJ11 so I do not have to do any further converting!!!
Regards,
-Grayson

HarrySmith

Cool looking phone! That fading on the case looks like a good candidate for retrobrite treatment!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

twocvbloke

Does the dial still have a radioactive glow or has it long gone? Or was it a later one that had no tritium tube fitted cos of the radiation concerns?

LM Ericsson

I do not think it works anymore...I wonder if there is something different to make a new glow under the dial...
Regards,
-Grayson

Owain

You can paint some white card with luminous green paint and cut to fit inside the recess which houses the tritium tube behind the transluscent dial back on a Trimphone.

The overall effect of the luminous dial is very similar to the original. Exposure to ambient light during the day has so far proved sufficient to maintain the glow during the night. The use of luminous painted card means that the historical integrity of the components of the telephone have not been compromised in any way and it would be very simple to renew or remove the luminous card should it prove necessary in the future.

twocvbloke

Quote from: Owain on January 26, 2012, 06:58:31 PM
You can paint some white card with luminous green paint and cut to fit inside the recess which houses the tritium tube behind the transluscent dial back on a Trimphone.

Ah, glow paint!!! I forgot about that one (there was something mentioned recently about it I think), wouldn't mind getting some of that paint anyway cos it's handy to have to make door or lightswitch markers or whatnot for night time use... ;D