News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

eBay Gamble

Started by Doug Rose, February 14, 2010, 09:42:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Collectors....I watched this last week, it was listed at $50 and got no takers. I saw it re-listed this morning for a BIN for $30 and I went for it. It was advertised as black, but it sure looks to be mottled brown from the one and only picture. I have never seen a bakelite (broken) finger wheel, unless it was a color and not black. I assume you all saw it last week, so what are you opinions. Black (and I lost my gamble) or mottled brown and I hit big time. Your opinions???...Doug
Kidphone

Dan

I'm guessing brown, and I'm pulling for ya.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dennis Markham

Doug, that does look brown.  I didn't know that the finger wheels were Bakelite on the colored models.  I'd say you're going to be happy when that arrives.  Too bad about the broken finger wheel. 

stub

Doug,
            Hope it's brown!!!!!!!!!!!!  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

JorgeAmely

Doug:

Mine has a wheel just like that, but I believe it is made of plastic (Tenite?). Perhaps Steve from AZ,  can get you a replacement.

I hope it has a brown housing.  ;D
Jorge

Dan/Panther

Sure looks mottled brown to me, why didn't you post the  llink before the auction ended so we all could of had a shot at it  ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Doug Rose

D/P..... Now why didn't I think of that! I'll be happy to share pieces of the finger wheel....Kidphone
Kidphone

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Kidphone on February 14, 2010, 09:42:33 AM
Collectors....I watched this last week, it was listed at $50 and got no takers. I saw it re-listed this morning for a BIN for $30 and I went for it. It was advertised as black, but it sure looks to be mottled brown from the one and only picture. I have never seen a bakelite (broken) finger wheel, unless it was a color and not black. I assume you all saw it last week, so what are you opinions. Black (and I lost my gamble) or mottled brown and I hit big time. Your opinions???...Doug
Looks brown to me, I have had a black  with the same FW damage. The photo definently looks brown. Great find.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Dan/Panther

Doug;
I think I have the pieces missing from yours !
D/P ;D

Craig T

Looks like Kidphone is the fastest draw this side of the Mississippi once again! Great find!

Doug Rose

Quote from: Craig T on February 14, 2010, 10:56:06 PM
Looks like Kidphone is the fastest draw this side of the Mississippi once again! Great find!
Not fast at all....Its BLACK!! It is the correct phone in the pictures. Heavy sigh. Some times you bite the bear, sometimes the bear bites you. ....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

On the positive side it has the coolest dial I have ever heard. It is really different, more like a ping sound. The Doctor of Dials in Az is sending me a fingerwheel (what a guy!!) and I'll try to bring it back to life. After all, we are saving old phones, one phone at a time. We are doing a service for history. Its just not mottled brown. Big boys don't cry........ they sulk.....Doug
Kidphone

Dan/Panther

Doug;
looking at the photo, and now knowing it's black, I can see the red and blue artifacts in the photo, usually from adjusting the contrast and brightness of a photo, which it seems gave it the mottled look.
Well at least it will be spared a certain death.
D/P

Dan/Panther

I reversed the enhancement used for the auction.
D/P

Wallphone

Doug,
You said the dial makes a "ping" sound.
Is that from pieces of the finger wheel flying off and bouncing off of things?  ;D
Dougpav