and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My first coloured 302!!!

Started by Dan, November 26, 2010, 04:26:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deedubya3800

Quote from: Dan on November 27, 2010, 12:04:56 AM
Quote from: deedubya3800 on November 26, 2010, 07:46:34 PM
Wow, that's pretty. :) It looks to me like a post-war model based on the handset picture. A hundred dollars is a very good price on any genuine ivory 302 in presentable condition, regardless of the year. If I had been online and not watching Disney Channel this afternoon, I would have considered it myself for the chance to have pre-war and post-war ivories side-by-side. Mazel tov!

Please educate me. What's the difference between pre and post war models?

What I know are some of the most obvious differences between the two. Perhaps the two most easily-spotted distinctions make direct contact with each other and are hard to see without lifting the handset. The pre-war ivories have ivory-colored switch hook plungers while those on post-war sets are generally a touch smaller and clear. Also, pre-war handsets are virtually seamless and and are considerably heavier than post-war handsets, which have a seam around the inner surface of the handle.

Other dissimilarities that are less noticible are small details in the shells, which came from completely different molds: Little things like ear shape and the rims of the cord notches can tell them apart. The exact plastic formula and coloring compounds may also differ, but since neither has been precisely identified by anyone, that can't be known with certainty.

And then there's one difference that I really want to do more research on: The filler plate under the handle seems to be painted metal on pre-war sets and molded plastic on post-war sets. Let us know about yours when it comes in.

Dan

"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dan

I posted pictures of my 1949 ivory 302 in the 1941 ivory thread
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright