News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Box of station wire.

Started by Greg G., November 22, 2015, 02:06:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Is this the standard stuff that was used to wire households for phones "back in the day"?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

TelePlay

Certainly looks like it, but it's the really old stuff being only 4 conductor.

Good for one line back then, two lines now. Looks like the label says 22 gauge solid copper and "not intended for multiple line use."

AE_Collector

I didn't see "pull boxes" until 1980 or so. Prior to that we had "Flat Packs". 22 Gauge Green, Red, Black & Yellow "Quad" (not two twisted pairs) was pretty standard Station Wire. Prior to that we had 3 conductor that for whatever reason was Blue, Red & Yellow.

Terry

Phonesrfun

My guess is the reason it says not for multiple line use is because the two pairs are probably not paired and twisted, meaning that multiple line use would result in possible cross-talk.

For a regular station application with 4 wires; red, green, yellow and black, this looks like the old fashioned stuff.  Terry notes that the pull boxes didn't come into being until the 80's and so even if this wire was made in the '80's or later, it still looks like the old type station wire.
-Bill G

AE_Collector

Our standards changed from quad to 3 pair cat 3 station wire sometime in the mid to late 80's but we had both types of wire available until at least the mid 90's.

Quad is still readily available as it is used for alarm systems.

Terry

Babybearjs

now the norm is Cat 5. I was lucky enough to find end of roll cuts of 25 Pair cat 5 cable. works great for me... and the multiline system I have.
John

Greg G.

Trying to figure out if this would be useful to have for the hobby.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e