News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric Metal 500 Set??

Started by Doug Rose, January 29, 2010, 09:28:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Collectors...going through some saved pictures as we are getting a new PC. This is a Western Electric 500 set with a HEAVY Metal base. It is black with a gold swirled design throughout. It is not a cover that slips over, it is the base of the phone. I sold this a while ago, but I thought you folks might want to see it. It is the only picture I have of this. It was very well done. I know its not a real WE, but its fun to look at.....Doug
Kidphone

JorgeAmely

Hello there:

Was it smooth all over or could you feel the patterns going around the surface?
Jorge

Doug Rose

Kidphone

McHeath

I've seen a cover or two that was similar to this, made of metal, nicely fitted.  Yours appears to be the entire shell being replaced instead of just an overlay.  Someone on the forum once displayed a Princess with a shell made of marble. 

Jim Stettler

Quote from: McHeath on January 30, 2010, 12:36:22 AM
I've seen a cover or two that was similar to this, made of metal, nicely fitted.  Yours appears to be the entire shell being replaced instead of just an overlay.  Someone on the forum once displayed a Princess with a shell made of marble. 

I have the marble princess, it came with SC guts. I call it my stone princess.

Somewhere I have a "formed" cover that is embroidery w/ designs. It fits a Delft.  I used to have it sitting on a transparent Delft for fun.

I have ignored the metal 500 cover phones for years, However one with a metal housing is quite a bit more interesting. I need to pay closer attention.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

teka-bb

Hello Jim,

Does it look like this one:

Here is a picture of the Delft in three different colors:

The Delft is actually a Dutch standard telephone named T65 which was produced mainly in grey.

A black T65 is quite rare because not many were made, people wanted something else after all those black bakelite phones.

This brown / ivory marbled T65 is even rarer because it was never sold to the general public, I made it from a housing I obtained from someone that worked at the factory. It's more like a production failure that came out between changing colors, which should have been scrapped.

Read more about the Dutch T65 telephone:
http://tinyurl.com/dutch-t65

=============================================
Regards,

Remco, JKL Museum of Telephony Curator

JKL Museum of Telephony: http://jklmuseum.com/
TCI Library: http://www.telephonecollectors.info/

Dennis Markham

Very nice and interesting phones, Remco.  That cover would be appropriate on a day like today where it was only 4 degrees F this morning.  Very nice collection of phones.

~Dennis

McHeath

Those are very interesting phones.  I really like the brightness of the yellow and red translucent ones, and that marbled brown one is very attractive as well.  The cover has a nice 70's feel about it.

It's 46 degrees F this morning here Dennis, and supposed to hit 61. :)

Jim Stettler

Quote from: teka-bb on January 30, 2010, 10:51:29 AM
Hello Jim,

Does it look like this one:

Here is a picture of the Delft in three different colors:

The Delft is actually a Dutch standard telephone named T65 which was produced mainly in grey.

A black T65 is quite rare because not many were made, people wanted something else after all those black bakelite phones.

This brown / ivory marbled T65 is even rarer because it was never sold to the general public, I made it from a housing I obtained from someone that worked at the factory. It's more like a production failure that came out between changing colors, which should have been scrapped.

Read more about the Dutch T65 telephone:
http://tinyurl.com/dutch-t65

Remco,
Mine was made by the same Manufactor, It has a nice pattern on it.   I am still looking for a Green-yellow transparent   Delft. I really Like your swirled set. I have a SC Slenderette (trimline) that is close in color to it. The black Delft is pretty sharp-looking.

About the only Official Swirl Telephones in the US are SC slenderettes in Green/white, Red/White, Yellow/ White and Brown/ white.  The colors have ice-cream names.
I have heard that WE  employees made a Blue/white swirl  trimeline "final"  run on the last shift of the last day of the bell system.

I posted a quick snapshot of my (dusty) swirled sets on 12/20 in Collectors corner/swirled telephones. The brown swirlee doesnt look  brown in the photo. It is under the Multi-color princess. The Green/ white princess is the marble one. ( i couldn't find an easy way to  link the thread).

"Real" dial swirlees typically  have a matching dial center and  "unofficial " sets do not. I have seen official colors w/o the swirl center . I think these may of been back door sets.

I  have a few duplicate  "official" swirlees for trade.

The catalog page is from "Jetmore Telephone company Inc."Dodge City Kansas appears to be from the 1970's.

Jim S
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.