News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

A real phone at last, a Northern Telecom 2500...

Started by twocvbloke, February 16, 2012, 04:04:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twocvbloke

Yeah, I had to get something to ease the mental pain from that awful ProtelX, I think I mentioned it somewhere a few days ago, and it got relisted, so, I thought, what the heck... :D

I definitely paid too much though, cos I was told by a friend that they can be had for like 50 cents at a yard sale over in the states, but, I like it, and from the looks of the picture, it's hard-wired and not modular, so probably older than I think it is, but we shall see when it arrives... ;D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270912407598

At least it already has a cousin here, cos I have a lone Nortel M7310n systemphone for my Meridian Compact system, even though they're completely incompatible without an ATA on the regular phone, I really should sell that system, I have tried but nobody seems to want it... ???

Anyway, an obligatory picture, I can see that I'll need to sort out the handset cord cos it's got a backwards twist there... :D

gpo706

2CV - I like my 500's but need to get a 2500 like yours, a "Rockford Files" phone!

"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

twocvbloke

hehe, yeah, I wanted it cos it's a 500 at heart, but with touchtone buttons...  ;D

That and I saw an ivory ITT 2500 with a Message Waiting light sell for £36 the other day...... :o

Some people will do anything for a flashing light.... :D

Vern P

Nice find. I don't know way, but hard wired 2500 are hard to come by.  I guess they were office phone and were alwas being up graded.

Vern P

twocvbloke

I guess they were introduced just as the Modular models were about to be introduced, so they either got converted, or were built from scratch as modular, I'm no expert though so could just be talking from my bottom... :D

Not sure where I'd put the phone though, cos there's not really enough REN room on the line, and the space that is there is for the Cortelco when it gets here in a couple of weeks, I suppose I should save up for a Panasonic phone system so I can use them on that... ;D

DavePEI

Quote from: twocvbloke on February 18, 2012, 12:54:22 AM
I guess they were introduced just as the Modular models were about to be introduced, so they either got converted, or were built from scratch as modular, I'm no expert though so could just be talking from my bottom... :D

Actually, we didn't modularize as early as the US... I had hardwired 2500s in Toronto when I was in my 20's, and ten years later, when I moved to PEI, my first phone was also hardwired. It wasn't until the next time I had phones changed that they were changed over to modular.

I also at least in the areas I lived on saw only cord changes on the phones to modularize them.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Owain

Quote from: twocvbloke on February 18, 2012, 12:54:22 AMI suppose I should save up for a Panasonic phone system so I can use them on that... ;D

Aim high and go for a Realitis

gpo706

Quote from: Owain on February 18, 2012, 12:09:10 PM
Quote from: twocvbloke on February 18, 2012, 12:54:22 AM
I suppose I should save up for a Panasonic phone system so I can use them on that... ;D

Aim high and go for a Realitis.

384?

Need planning permission for some extra rooms...

Anyhow, I doubt it outputs 4 REN like my Pana 616, (sniff)...
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

twocvbloke

Quote from: david@london on February 18, 2012, 07:09:27 AM
i think that is a brilliant phone!..  good price too and already in england.  i didn't see that one tho i saw the white one with the red light which was tempting but a bit modular for my liking.

which is the icon for entering a link so it's click-on-able? is it the 3rd from left........... the little globe?

I was thinking of going for the ITT myself until I saw the bids just going up and up and up, and the black 2500 was relisted, and I'd watched that before, so, I went for that, and had no competition, which was weird...  :D

Links are automatically "parsed" on most forums, so just copy the link and paste here like so:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/

The URL button helps for making links with text over them like this:

The Classic Rotary Phone Forum

:)

(I used to run my own and moderate on a couple of other forums a few years ago, there's things that I never forget!! Never again though!!! :D )

twocvbloke

Quote from: Owain on February 18, 2012, 12:09:10 PMAim high and go for a Realitis.

I think to get that high I'd have to ingest something illegal.......... :o

A KXT308 or 616 would do me, I don't quite have enough phones for that Realtis, and I'd probably end up buying more phones to go on each extension!!!  :D

Owain

Quote from: twocvbloke on February 18, 2012, 11:18:30 PM
A KXT308 or 616 would do me, I don't quite have enough phones for that Realtis, and I'd probably end up buying more phones to go on each extension!!!  :D

Oh that would be a tragedy.

I'm up to 15 phones in the lounge and that's in a 1 bedroom flat. Most are unconnected though.

twocvbloke

Quote from: Owain on February 19, 2012, 08:05:30 AMOh that would be a tragedy.

I'm up to 15 phones in the lounge and that's in a 1 bedroom flat. Most are unconnected though.

The problem is that I have 15.5 vacuum cleaners too, and at last count I think 10 phones (well, it will be 10 when the Northern Telecom 2500 arrives), but at least phones take up less space than vacuums... :D

Owain

Quote from: twocvbloke on February 19, 2012, 08:29:01 AM
Quote from: Owain on February 19, 2012, 08:05:30 AMOh that would be a tragedy.

The problem is that I have 15.5 vacuum cleaners too, and at last count I think 10 phones (well, it will be 10 when the Northern Telecom 2500 arrives), but at least phones take up less space than vacuums... :D

I have 3 vacuums but they're for cleaning the house. I have no idea how many phones are in the bedroom storage boxes but there are 2 linesman phones and 4 field phones on top of the lounge cabinet I didn't include in that 15 ...

Ebay's great but it doesn't beat the excitement of walking down the street at 6 am on bin day and finding someone's put out a 'treasure'

twocvbloke

hehe, I'm the same with my vacs, most are packed away in boxes (we moved in November, never got round to releasing the beasts!!), I'm a small-time collector of vacs, but only the ones I approve of rather than just finding any old plastic thing and buying it to add to the collection, though I'm considering selling 6 or 7 of them, as I'm bored of some of the models I have... :D

You just reminded me, I've completely forgotten about them two Racal field telephones I got a few weeks ago, was meant to be taking pictures of them but got sidetracked by other things..... ::)

twocvbloke

I hope the phone arrives today, cos I'm anxious to play with it!!!  ;D