News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE Models / Numbering System -- Model 82???

Started by Jim Mc, November 24, 2009, 05:23:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Mc

I've got a green/blue "Monophone" coming from ebay.  It looks like the Model 80, but the number on the back of the phone is N82215 CSLG.  In other words, its a Model 82.

From what I can discern, the first 2 digits "82" mean its a model 82.  I can't, however, find any reference to a model 82 on the internet although there are several phones floating around the internet that have the N82 code on the bottom (including Jorge's very nice dark blue one).  All the literature that I've seen talks about a Model 80.  As for the other numbers, the third digit "2" seems to mean it has retractable (coiled) cord and the "15" means turquoise color.  "C" means it has a metro dial with numbers and letters.  "SL" means a straight line ringer with no volume adjustment and the "G" may or may not mean "turquoise" again.

I'm most curious about the "82" as the model number.  The other intriguing thing is that the term "Monophone" is used.  My Model 80 from 1966 does not use the term "Monophone" at all.  I'm presuming that the Monophone name is just a carry over from the previous deco model, but if anybody has the inside scoop, I'm all ears.

JorgeAmely

Jim Mc:

Welcome to the forum.

My dark blue phone has the string N82216 CSA printed on the bottom. I can't explain the "82" either, but I would assume that somewhere in time, the records that survive to this date and the practice of labeling the phones diverted. Either that or we don't have the whole picture.

My red phone from 1959, printed with "N82214 C" also follows this pattern. However, all those that have N822 have a potted network plus a potentiometer.

Those with the printed circuit board network start with NB...

What about this one: N82210 W20 (from 1959)?
Or this one: N802 ASA (from 1960)?

Have you visited Paul's website?: http://paul-f.com/AEcolors.htm
Lots of information about Automatic Electric phones in his site.
Jorge

Phonesrfun

I have an NC802100 CXX (Beige) and an NC802190 CXX (pink)  I know somewhere I have one that is an 82??? but it is boxed away somewhere.  My one AE90 wall phone is NB902 CXX (Black)  My one old heavy AE 80 has all the ink worn off, and I can barely make out the Monophone markings.  I really don't know either why an AE80 would be a model 82XXX, so it is a mystery to me too.

-Bill G