News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My pink AE 80 again

Started by phoneguy06, August 02, 2009, 11:25:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phoneguy06

Jorge asked me to post pictures of the above phone, and since the original postings are buried within older threads, I thought that I would start a new post to make them easier to find.

HobieSport

May I make a comment?

What a beatiful pink AE 80!

There I said it.
-Matt

Dennis Markham

That is a very nice AE80 in pink.  Does the color look as good in person as it does in those photos?  Great older AE80.  What happened to the screw from the front of the phone?

McHeath

Phonesrfun

Phoneguy:

Your pink AE80 is superb!  Mine is a little later model, and it cannot hold a candle to yours.  It seems that it is not quite as deep of a pink color as yours either.

Here are all my pink phones.  The Princess is an early 1959 with the separate E1B ringer, and because it is hardwired and hooked up behind the bed, I did not want to unhook it for the group picture of the others.  As you can see by the picture without the flash, the lighted dial works, but the room light is so bad that the pink color does not show up very well in that photo.

The AE spacesaver I bought this way on E-Bay, but it was painted sometime during its life and a pink handset and cord added.  I like it this way, so I left it the way I got it.

-Bill
-Bill G

McHeath

Nice group of pink phones.  And a pink 10 button to boot!  Is your Princess soft plastic by any chance?   

Phonesrfun

Nope, it's hard plastic.

-Bill
-Bill G

phoneguy06

Thanks everyone for the kind comments regarding my favourite pink phone. That's a wonderful collection of pink phones you have there Bill; does your 80 have the printed circuit board or the potted network? I wonder when they switched from black to white ink for the dial plates? Dennis, the ironic thing is that my phone's third baseplate screw was lost when I took it for repair-- at our phone museum! A couple of the guys had it apart and must have assumed that it was like the newer 80s that only have two base plate screws, and so didn't think anything was amiss when one went missing!

Dennis Markham

Bill, I meant to get back to this thread to comment on your pink phones.  You have a nice collection of pink phones.  I especially like the AE Spacesaver.  I have wanted one (or more) of those but as of yet haven't brought one home.  I too enjoy the pink phones.  I don't have a bunch of them but do have the 500 and 554 (soft plastic) as well as a couple Princess phones in pink and a newer AE80.  Nothing as nice as yours and Phoneguy06's.   

I don't know if you saw this posting:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=536.msg5802#msg5802

but I posted a grouping of photos of my W.E. 554 in pink that I believe is NOS.  It truly is what I call "Pepto Bismal" pink.

Phonesrfun

Dennis:

That is an absolute beauty!  Thanks for reposting it.  That post was done before I joined, so I missed it.

-Bill
-Bill G

Dennis Markham

Thanks Bill, I lucked out when that one came along.

Dan

It's really amazing how you find soft plastic 554's , Dennis. I can't remember even a garden variety beige showing up on Ebay lately.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dennis Markham

Dan, I think I have a nose for stinky phones!  :)  I guess I don't have a life and spend too much time watching eBay closely for them.  Sometimes you have to look deep and beg a seller to remove the housing and look for the date on the inside of the plastic.  Many of them don't want to do that but it sometimes pays off.  Believe me I bought a lot of hard plastic phones until I figured out what to look for but even then sometimes one just has to take a chance.

Jester

Bill, the following pics. are of the cover & housing from my pink 701B, dated 11/59.  I am posting them to show some interesting differences I found between this & later 701 & 702 covers.
1) Pic of cover inside.  No date stamp found.

2) Pic of plunger & retainer plug.  I did not take this apart, & was fortunate enough to find the black plug floating around inside the phone.

Bill, what month was your phone made?
Stephen

Phonesrfun

Jester:

I mis spoke.  I originally said mine was 1959.  (I actually thought it was)  I guess I did not turn it over to really look.

My pink 701B is 6-60, but it has exactly those same plungers, complete with the little metal posts and the little black plastic plugs.

Also, I found that there are a couple ways to tell an early Princess from the later ones just by looking at the outside.  Early has no vent slits around the metal exposed part of the base.  I guess these "vents" were actually because of the ringer inside of the later models.  Secondly, in order to accomodate the height of the ringer, the later covers were raised up ever so slightly, and that did away with the need for the "mouseholes" in the sides of the plastics for the handset and line cords in the later models.

-Bill
-Bill G