News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Any one tried to Chrome or Nickel Brass

Started by Doug Rose, April 08, 2010, 12:39:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I picked up a really nice Stromberg Carlson receiver. I was fortunate to finally find one with NO cracks or chips in the bakelite. The nickel on the brass is worn in a few places, but the receiver is in remarkable condition otherwise. Has anyone ever re-nickeled using one of the kits. I know D/P mentioned he re-chromed his finger stop on his great new find. Any comments or how tos will be greatly appreciated. Does anyone on the list do this for a price? ...Doug
Kidphone

Dan/Panther

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

dencins

dencins

Doug

If you want to do this yourself, I am finding it difficult to get information.  If you decide to have it done, New England Chrome Plating in East Hartford, CT does nickel over brass plating.  He used to do the plating for Wistful Vistas Phones until Dave Johnson retired so he knows antique phones. 

When I asked about the cost to do a transmitter faceplate and cup, I was told $25 per piece.

Dennis

Doug Rose

Dennis...that is more than reasonable....thanks for the tip.....Doug
Kidphone

mariepr

Depending on the wear, some nickel parts will shine up nicely with White Blizzard compound on a spiral sewn wheel.  For those who are inclined to use a do-it-yourself approach, I've had success in re-plating worn nickel and plating over brass using the Caswell Electroless Nickel Kit.  The directions are pretty straightforward and they explain why some seemingly needless steps are essential to a smooth finish. (Even a girl can to it! :D)    I've not tried pot metal, as that needs another process before Nickel can be plated. 

Dan/Panther

Marie;
I use the Caswell system as well, and I love it.
Even A Caveman can do it.
Welcome to our forum...
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Doug Rose

Quote from: mariepr on April 25, 2010, 11:21:51 AM
Depending on the wear, some nickel parts will shine up nicely with White Blizzard compound on a spiral sewn wheel.  For those who are inclined to use a do-it-yourself approach, I've had success in re-plating worn nickel and plating over brass using the Caswell Electroless Nickel Kit.  The directions are pretty straightforward and they explain why some seemingly needless steps are essential to a smooth finish. (Even a girl can to it! :D)    I've not tried pot metal, as that needs another process before Nickel can be plated.  
Marie....welcome aboard....we can use your expertise on the Forum....Doug Rose
Kidphone

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Kidphone on April 25, 2010, 01:41:18 PM
Marie....welcome aboard....we can use your expertise on the Forum....Doug Rose
[/quote]
Welcome to the forum Marie,
Have you checked this link yet?
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=2394.0

I think you will appreciate the restoration effort that went into this historic phone.

It is the host of a conference call tonite.
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=2554.0

I am glad you decided to give the forum a try.

Jim S.
Jim Stettler
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.