News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Japanese mystery phone

Started by finlover, January 01, 2010, 02:53:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AET

I was looking at your post and my mom says she remembers my Grandpa having one of these when she was a kid, she was born in 65.  But it was green, like about the shade of an Ericophone green.
- Tom

finlover

Quote from: AtomicEraTom on January 01, 2010, 05:38:47 PM
I was looking at your post and my mom says she remembers my Grandpa having one of these when she was a kid, she was born in 65.  But it was green, like about the shade of an Ericophone green.
Wow, don't you wish you still had that one!  I'll bet it looked like the ones in these photos:

bellsystemproperty

Actually after seeing the phone I changed my mind. It WAS worth it, and looks beautiful. The style is similar to the Kellogg 1000 red bar phones. I'd add a dial to it, but I'm not sure if you'd want to do that as it could spoil the authenticity. If you do add a dial do it in a way that lets you remove it in the future without scarring the phone. I think I'm going to find a phone like this too.

AET

Grandpa may still have it.  I have no clue.
- Tom

finlover

Quote from: bellsystemproperty on January 01, 2010, 07:50:49 PM
Actually after seeing the phone I changed my mind. It WAS worth it, and looks beautiful. The style is similar to the Kellogg 1000 red bar phones. I'd add a dial to it, but I'm not sure if you'd want to do that as it could spoil the authenticity. If you do add a dial do it in a way that lets you remove it in the future without scarring the phone. I think I'm going to find a phone like this too.
Thanks, bellsystemproperty!!  It does resemble a red bar--now I might need one of those too!  I'll keep an eye out for a dial for the Star Phone, although I do like the art deco lines of the dial blank.

Greg G.

I like that display stand in the first photo, I'll have to see if I can find one like it.  Perfect for limited space like my abode.  It still lets you see the entire phone w/o crowding them.  I think I see my NEC Type 3 in the upper right shelf.  A Japanese candlestick, now THAT would be a find!  
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

mienaichizu

You hit a jackpot Finlover, that is a very nice Jap phone at it still has its shine, its very similar to my NEC phones

finlover

Thanks, mienaichizu!!  Mine looks a lot like the white one you have there.  I love your maroon one too.  Out of curiosity, are yours dated?  Any idea what years the Type 4 was produced?

Greg G.

Quote from: mienaichizu on January 02, 2010, 10:42:09 PM
You hit a jackpot Finlover, that is a very nice Jap phone at it still has its shine, its very similar to my NEC phones

Hey Ramil, can you post a link to your blog?  I can't find it.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Quote from: finlover on January 03, 2010, 03:26:31 AM
Thanks, mienaichizu!!  Mine looks a lot like the white one you have there.  I love your maroon one too.  Out of curiosity, are yours dated?  Any idea what years the Type 4 was produced?

I wish I could find a manufacture date on mine.  I dismantled it (as much as I dared) and photographed every nook and cranny and could not find anything that resembled a manufacture date.  The Japanese have (or had) a different way of dating things, had to do with how many years since the current emperor began his reign.  When mine was made, that would have been Hirohito (1926).
- Mike Row
e