News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Collect Western Electric??

Started by Doug Rose, January 05, 2010, 02:05:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Funny thing is, you collect Telephones;  sooner or later you gt a favorite maker. For me, its Western Electric. You run out of phones, what do you collect? Why, fans and sewing machines; of course! Two of my favorite telephone go withs. Both were found locally in the Boston area on Craig's List.Well worth shifting through the sh.., well you know...Doug
Kidphone

Dennis Markham

Very nice Doug!  I started dragging a few old fans home this summer---from the flea market.  There was one I should have grabbed that I didn't.  It was one of those large Western Electric fans with the brass colored blades.  The old guy selling it said he refurbishes them.  He only wanted $200 for it.  I've seem them go much higher on eBay for that fan.  Yours is very nice!

Doug Rose

Mine was a little less, $10 for the Fan, but 9 hours of paint removal and polishing. Not to mention the cut fingers and skun knuckles. The was a labor of love. Oiled it up and it runs like a champ. Not child proof at all, it stays in the phone room with the AC prong removed..Doug
Kidphone

Dan/Panther

Sewing machines and fans, I had no idea W.E. made those items.
Next you'll try to tell me Kellogg made cereal.
I have a treadle powered Singer Sewing machine form the early 1900's. Those are both nice items.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

AET

Very nice!!  Love the fan! I have one I redid.  It's a Corona.  My mom brought it home from the factory where she works and it looked like it had been in the factory since the 50's (which I'm sure it was) and never cleaned.  I'll post my before and afters one of these days.
- Tom

Dennis Markham

It is a great looking fan.  We all have one thing in common...we like to get stuff that is old, look bad and make it work and look nice again.  It's very gratifying.

Here's a posting from September of 2009 about fans:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1239.msg22488#msg22488