News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Offer instantly rejected

Started by TelePlay, April 20, 2014, 11:28:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

This item is way over priced for several reasons including the hack drilling job on the handset.

I put in a very reasonable offer based on prior sales of similar items and it was immediately rejected.

The eBay message came back within a half second of submitting the offer: "Sorry, msivas has turned down your offer of US $XXXX. Make another offer before the item ends." Didn't have to wait for the seller to review and accept or reject the offer.

Question, when setting up a "BIN / Make and Offer" listing, can the seller put in a minimum offer, a reserve offer, and have it not show up in the listing? Problem is, if I make another offer and it's summarily rejected, I'll be locked out - 2 offers and done is the rule, I do believe.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131171257357

It won't sell at the BIN price, that I know.

WesternElectricBen

John, I think your right, but I thought you got as many offers in x amount of time. Possibly, it could be either, but whatever comes first?

I don't think there is a minimum offer, but possibly eBaY sets a percentage off, which is the minimum, for example, to avoid upsetting a seller. Maybe, you would get instantly rejected, if you put half of what the BIN price is.

Maybe not.. Although, I'm sure what you offerd is close to the actual value, which eBaY, being a computer, doesn't recognize.

Just my two cents.
Ben

LarryInMichigan

I have bought several BIN items which were set up so that offers would be automatically rejected or accepted.  I believe that three rejected offers is the limit.

I do not think that this item is worth almost anything, unless you are looking for a lamp.  The handset is worthless, the plunger assembly is missing, and most probably, the dial is missing its contacts.  If you are looking for a D1 base to restore, one should be easy to find for cheap.  This seller thinks that he/she has a valuable lamp for sale.

Larry

TelePlay

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on April 20, 2014, 11:34:57 AM
I don't think there is a minimum offer, but possibly eBaY sets a percentage off, which is the minimum, for example, to avoid upsetting a seller. Maybe, you would get instantly rejected, if you put half of what the BIN price is.

Yeah, it was way below half the price. On a good day, with a gold plated D1, it would maybe be worth about half what they want.

From my past experience, I made an offer on another item, the seller came back with a counter, I countered that offer and it was rejected a day or two latter by the seller. I tried to make a 3rd offer but was told by eBay that I was locked out of making any more offers. Low offers I make are sometimes accepted, sometimes countered, sometimes rejected or sometimes just expire after a few days. This is the first time I got an instant offer rejection which is a slap in the face for making a reasonable offer.

Maybe an experienced eBay seller knows what's up here and can shed some light on this "instant" rejection.

twocvbloke

You can set an auto-rejection based on a percentage of the price the item is listed for, when I worked at the computer shop we used an auto-lister program and could set a "Make offer" percentage that below a certain amount against the listed price would be automatically rejected, though most of the things I was working on listing were pretty low-value anyway (leftover laptop parts that were from units I'd stripped to use to rebuild other laptops) so never really saw the auto-reject in action... :)

I've never done it directly myself when listing my own items though as I prefer to do auction listings, as sometimes people will pay more than the value just because they have to have it (thought most of the time, they don't!!)... :)

Gilas

As others have stated when you set up a BIN you can set an automatic accept amount and an automatic decline amount as well.

TelePlay

Quote from: Gilas on April 20, 2014, 01:13:52 PM
As others have stated when you set up a BIN you can set an automatic accept amount and an automatic decline amount as well.

Curious, why would one set up an automatic accept amount when a BIN is involved? What if a seller were to receive two offers, both over the acceptable amount. The seller may end up selling it to the person with the lower bid rather than looking at both offers and selecting the highest. Seems funny to me to do that. I can accept an automatic rejection for a low bid, the seller's loss on that, but why on the high end?

Gilas

It's more for fixed pricing. BIN or best offer. So my BIN is 49.99 or best offer. I then have the option of setting an automatic accept of say 45.99 with auto decline of say 39.99

Sargeguy

I usually set it to automatically accept offers over a certain price (85-90% of asking price) and reject anything below a certain price (75% of asking price).  First bid that meets my minimum is accepted.  If it falls in the area between, I have 48 hours to consider accepting it.  If it falls below, it is immediately rejected. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

TelePlay

Greg,

Thanks, that makes sense. Didn't know what the seller options were. I guess I was in that gap on a few offers that were accepted a day after making them. This was the first one that gave me an automatic immediate rejection.

Sargeguy

One problem is the Best Offer is now "default" and you need to uncheck it when you list an item.  I have had fixed price listings for things that cost $1 that people were offering me 69 cents for until I fixed it.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409