News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Yellow WE Payphone

Started by Doug Rose, December 11, 2016, 08:26:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I picked this up yesterday. It is in really nice shape, but I feel it has been redone. Paint is superb, but there is a little paint on the chrome on the coin deposit. It displays wonderfully. What would have been the proper handset cord? The three keys are present. It is a keeper...Doug
Kidphone

WEBellSystemChristian

Looks nice Doug!

The proper color would have been Black, this was clearly refurbished by a 3rd party.

The proper cord would be an armored straight cord. You can find them new for less than $5.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

SUnset2

Shouldn't the 'daisy" around the dial match the color?
I don't think it was unusual for color payphones to have matching coil cords.  They were usually installed in safe indoor locations.

RotarDad

Yes, you are correct.  WE only made 3-slot payphones in black, green and beige, each with a color-matched dial daisy.  The yellow is a repaint, but it does look cool.  Perhaps an expert can confirm, but I believe, by '64 or so, all WE 3-slots were being equipped with the armoured handset cord to prevent vandalism.  One does see a good number of "Customer Sale" decorator sets with coil cords, but those were for home use.  The dial card in the pictured green phone below indicates a refurb for home use also, hence the coil cord there as well.
Paul

Jim Stettler

I don't "collect" payphones, but If I like a payphone and can haul it home for around $100. I usually will.
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

SUnset2

RotarDad, you guessed it, my green pay phone was messed up inside when it was resold for home use.  The coil is missing, and a network was added.  I think there were a few other things messed up.  Maybe I'll be able to find the parts to fix it someday.

Doug Rose

When I saw it i knew it was a repaint....BUT the paint is really good.  It is only my fifth pay phone, I love the color, it brightens the room up. Yellow is not a common color in the phones I collect..All keys are present.  I am very happy with it. inside is painted as well. it was by a pro and not a spray can....Doug
Kidphone

AL_as_needed

Not to steer this post off its topic, but what is that grey rotary item under the stool the pay phone is on? Couldnt help but eye up the other goodies in the pic  ::)
TWinbrook7

WEBellSystemChristian

I don't think WE payphones ever officially had coiled handset cords. I don't know the dates, but the 50Gs and early WE handset models (I.E. 191G, some 233Gs) had straight rubber cords, and after that, they used armored cords.

It's amazing how the honor system dimishished over time. The two-piece pay stations had straight rubber cords, and regular receivers. Then they went to armored cords, then started gluing the handset caps to the threads to prevent vandalism. Now there's no way to steal anything off a modern single slot.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Doug Rose

Quote from: AL_as_needed on December 12, 2016, 01:07:10 PM
Not to steer this post off its topic, but what is that grey rotary item under the stool the pay phone is on? Couldnt help but eye up the other goodies in the pic  ::)
It is an old metal Dyl-A -Com speaker phone....Doug

Kidphone

AL_as_needed

Quote from: Doug Rose on December 13, 2016, 08:04:13 AM
It is an old metal Dyl-A -Com speaker phone....Doug

That is a cool piece
TWinbrook7

AE_Collector

For the record, AE made three slot payphones in all the colours that they made the 80 and 90 models in. So there were about 12 colours plus Chrome. I saw lots of AE's with coil cords used indoors but I am not certain if they could be ordered with either cord type but that would be my guess.

In some indoor locations where there was more than one phone mounted side by side on the wall or on some sort of shelf, they had to shorten the handset cords to prevent people from making LD calls and when asked to deposit $1.40 for the first three minutes by the operator they held the handset against the next phone over, put the coins into it, the operator heard the correct dings and dongs and put the Long Distance call through and then they pocketed the coins from the coin return of the on hook payphone beside them or maybe kept them in hand for three minutes later when asked to deposit more coins to continue the call.

Terry

unbeldi

Quote from: AE_Collector on December 13, 2016, 11:14:14 AM
For the record, AE made three slot payphones in all the colours that they made the 80 and 90 models in. So there were about 12 colours plus Chrome. I saw lots of AE's with coil cords used indoors but I am not certain if they could be ordered with either cord type but that would be my guess.

In some indoor locations where there was more than one phone mounted side by side on the wall or on some sort of shelf, they had to shorten the handset cords to prevent people from making LD calls and when asked to deposit $1.40 for the first three minutes by the operator they held the handset against the next phone over, put the coins into it, the operator heard the correct dings and dongs and put the Long Distance call through and then they pocketed the coins from the coin return of the on hook payphone beside them or maybe kept them in hand for three minutes later when asked to deposit more coins to continue the call.

Terry

It is always amazing in how many ways in-band signaling could be fooled and exploited ingeniously.