News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

NE 2236QC

Started by johnnyjt, February 18, 2013, 11:34:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rdelius

Looks like a ringer coil with possibly a magnetic reed switch inside.Possibly sensed ringing in

Stan S

Rob, hope all is well with you.

Back to the question.

There is no modern equivalent for that part because that is the most modern part.  It's a very sensitive reed relay.
That relay was added for 'dial tone first' operation in those payphones. The relay senses when a coin flips the coin trigger in the hopper.

If you don't want or need DTF just remove the assembly and wire the payphone using an old diagram. You probably won't find a diagram that shows that part to begin with.

Stan S.

Stan S

Took some digging but I did find diagrams for both DTF and Coin First Northern NE2236QB and QC. Unfortunately they are copies of copies and not very clear. However, the DTF drawing shows the reed relay clearly.

Stan S.

DoubleTone

I much appreciate this info.  I'll switch the phone from DTF to coin-first, and with parts from PhoneCo, I'll have a complete phone that's also historically accurate.

I spent a long time going over the diagrams, and they supply just what I need, but I can't make out one spot in the coin-first diagram.  The spot is circled in red in the picture below.  Two terminals are being connected, but I can't quite see what's being done.  Clarification would be welcome.

Stan S

It's a 200 ohm resistor.
Wattage is probably 1/2 watt judging by the vintage of the phone and the other components.

Stan S.

Stan S

These scans should be more useful.
Stan S.

DoubleTone

The PDFs are a big improvement.  Your help is much appreciated.  Once the parts arrive, I can finish this project knowing what I need to know to do it right.

Thanks again.

Pourme

My 2236 has issues as well. When I tackle it, these diagrams will come in handy...thanks for posting!

Benny
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

tanderson78

I'm having a devil of a time getting one I bought from that store and Wisconsin to work. I'm pulling out the coin relay and other parts and I just want to install a touch tone pad, network, and ringer from a newer 2500/2554 phone. Does that sound like something easy to do? I've had it two years and I'm tired of looking at a paperweight!