News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AT&T Merlin Phone System (PABX) and Telephone Sets

Started by ESalter, April 12, 2011, 09:56:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE_Collector

Since they need 4 pair/8 conductor set cords you then have to figure out if they use 568A data, 568B data or USOC cords. I would bet USOC since the system likely predates the 568A/B data standards.
USOC standard cords quite likely have the usual set cord colored leads (green, red, black, yellow, white, blue, brown, slate) and has the first pair in the centre of the plug, and then the subsequent pairs continue to be split one lead to each side around the first pair. The same as a normal two pair set cord but with two more pairs. 568A and B data standards are different again and typically the data cords have the 4 pair cable pair colors (blue, orange, green & brown) in the cord.

Terry

poplar1

I'd have to check but I don't think a 103A baseboard jack is USOC.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Nilsog

Ken

AE_Collector

Quote from: poplar1 on June 03, 2013, 06:11:32 PM
I'd have to check but I don't think a 103A baseboard jack is USOC.

What is a 103A jack? If for the Merlin system, what else would it be unless it is completely different from normal RJ standard jacks?

Terry

G-Man

The Western Electric 8P8C data wiring scheme (TIA 568B) is the most prevalent in the United States and was used with the early Merlin systems. The 568B scheme also provides for backward compatibility of USOC 6P/6C pin-outs when it was desired to use the data cabling for regular telephone usage.

However, TIA 568A will also work since the only difference between the two standards is the swapping of the orange and green conductors of pairs two (pins 1-2) and three (pins 3-6). In other words, all of the pins are wired straight through, just with conductors that have different colors.

Here is a visual representation of the two schemes:

http://www.utm.edu/staff/leeb/568/568.htm

AE_Collector

Wouldn't it be 568A that is somewhat backwards compatible as it has the blue AND the orange pairs in the correct location where as 568B only has the blue pair in the correct location?

568A seems to be the most prevalent in Canada. As you say G-man, it doesn't matter unless one end is tied down on blocks of some sort.

We recently had a whole bunch of 4 line KSU-less office phones to install in different locations. Many of the locations were installed on existing 4 pair runs originally used for data. Most of our installers knew enough to cut patch cords in half to plug into the data jack and they put double surface jacks on the cut end with 2 pairs to each jack. These phones had to have 2 - 2 pair set cords. All worked except I got most of the repair calls once some customers found line 2 and 3 reversed where the installer didn't notice the patch cords he cut were color coded for 568B as our data jacks are virtually always 568A.

Terry

Dave203

I am using the Merlin 820D at home rite now with 1 Comcast voice line and 2addon lines from an old sun rocket VoIP box. It's voice service is provided by "whistle phone" and I had to figure out how to configure it myself. They give me free calls to 800 numbers and other whistle customers. Plus free 20 min to call any US number. Its very limited but its free to play with and I get a real phone number out of the deal.

I have a Merlin 10btn hi-fi phone on my desk and 5btn in the kitchen. And maybe about 4 other old Merlin phones that don't work or have issues. One receiver has the metal grill like you describe.. I'd like to give some of this stuff away if anyone has an interest in it.

I also have an older 410 with feature package 1 or 2. It redlighted on me a few times so I upgraded to the 820D. Then I upgraded to the Partner 103G4 and fell in love. So many options and I can finally connect any standard phones and dial 9 to get out and if your using system phones caller ID does work.
:)
I'd like to start using my Partner system again but the power supply on mine went and I'm having trouble finding a new/used one for a reasonable price. If anybody knows of one please please let me know. They go for about 70 bucks on eBay and that's a little high for me at the moment.

But yea I've been a big fan of the old black n gray Merlin phones for years. Love the red+green line lights and ringer tones and music on hold. Still missing my partner system so if I transfer a call to another phone the person on hold hears the ringing on their end too.
I'd post pictures if anyone is interested in viewing my messy setup or the stuff I need to part with. Let me know.
-DaveCT

FrankieD

Bringing this one back from the dead...

I just bought a decent sized lot of these off eBay (I have the system and I've been a collector for years). All but one phone is working. It's a 10 button membrane phone. I took it apart and don't see a obvious cause.

Anyone in here know why it wouldn't be working? Any common causes?

FABphones

Quote from: FrankieD on December 05, 2022, 09:39:27 PMBringing this one back from the dead...

Great to reread some of these old threads. Lots of good info to be found using the CRPF search button.  :)

Quote from: FrankieD on December 05, 2022, 09:39:27 PM...I just bought a decent sized lot of these off eBay... ...All but one phone is working.

Anyone in here know why it wouldn't be working?...

Could you provide more info, and photos.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

FrankieD

Quote from: FABphones on December 06, 2022, 04:41:50 AMGreat to reread some of these old threads. Lots of good info to be found using the CRPF search button.  :)

Could you provide more info, and photos.

Yeah, lots of good stuff. I've managed to get myself out of a lot of jams with this forum!!

So, as far as the 10 button phone goes, when I plug it in, it doesn't turn on at all. It just plays dead... It's one of the membrane sets; which are failure prone, unfortunately. They really are cool phones. I just wanted to know if anyone knows of any common causes. I've taken it apart cleaned and reconnected all of the ribbon cables and still nothing. There is one capacitor with what looks like melted wrapping. I'm not sure if that's due to age or something actually wrong.

Contempra

Quote from: FrankieD on December 06, 2022, 05:38:00 PM..There is one capacitor with what looks like melted wrapping. I'm not sure if that's due to age or something actually wrong...

Hi, I don't have this kind of phone with a capacitor, but I know that in electronics, an old and most likely dry capacitor, it no longer has the same value. However, if you decide to change it, put one of the same value or slightly higher, but never, ever put one below the indicated value.

poplar1

The membrane sets had problems with ESD (Electrostatic Discharge).

HarrySmith

Did you try reversing tip & ring? These early tone dials were polarity sensitive.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

poplar1

Quote from: HarrySmith on December 07, 2022, 07:46:07 AMDid you try reversing tip & ring? These early tone dials were polarity sensitive.

I don't think they are DTMF (Touch-Tone) dials. You have to have an adapter to use single line phones such as 2500s, at least on the old Merlin KSUs. Maybe the Partner sets produce true Touch-Tones, since just like the Panasonic KX-T 61610 Key System, you can mix proprietary multi-line phones and single line phones, even on the same station port.

MSA

Doesn't look like much activity regarding the Merlin systems.  I am using daily a Merlin 1030 in my office and a Merlin 820D (a/k/a "Merlin Plus") system at home.  The latter recently replaced a Merlin 820 which expired from old age.  Presently working on a ringdown system to connect the two Merlin systems by private line.

One thing that I would be grateful for is any information on the power supply for the Merlin 820.  I have two with bad power supplies, but cannot find a source for replacement, repair of a schematic.  With the latter I would attempt repair myself.  Or if anyone needs Merlin 820 modules or parts, other than the power supply, let me know.