"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Newbie Here !

Started by jiggerman, June 04, 2009, 09:13:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jiggerman

Hello,
           Stumbled across this site about a month or so ago. I'm very impressed with the number of knowledgeable and passionate collectos here. I've always liked the look of the rotary phones and after checking this site I decided to start my own collection.  I live in Quebec, Canada and garage sales just started a couple of weeks ago. I didn't find any the first 2 weekends but did pick-up four this last Saturday.  I guess people around there don't want their old phones, the most expensive was $3.00 and the others were $2.00 each. They are not very old but a very nice start to my collection. The first is a Stromberg-Carlson, Apr 1978. #2 Northern Telecom 1978 500AX .  #3 Automatic Electric, no date.  #4 Northern Telecom NE-500. This is a great site and I want to thank everyone for their time and hard work.  James

http://s281.photobucket.com/albums/kk222/jiggermanca/phone/?action=view&current=phone.jpg&newest=1

AET

Hiya James!  Looks like you've been bitten by the bug already!  These are very nice phones you have and I wish you very happy collecting as you get into it more!
- Tom

Dan

Nice finds. Welcome. I thought I would stop around 10 or 20 but when you find ANY rotary phone for a buck or two, it's really hard to say no. Heck the brass bells are worth that much in scrap(heaven forbid anyone would ever do this to a phone!).

I wish I could find an AE80 at a yard sale. I have two AE90's (wall version )but no deskset version yet.

"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Ellen

Wow!  I like the surface - formica?  glass? on that radio / stereo cabinet.  That is very beautiful.

Steve

Welcome to the forum Jiggerman. thats a good start , some nice phones there.
If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.

jiggerman

Quote from: Ellen on June 04, 2009, 09:36:22 PM
Wow!  I like the surface - formica?  glass? on that radio / stereo cabinet.  That is very beautiful.

Old  50's Sylvania stereo I've been working on and the top is glass. Thanks for the kind words ! You folks are right....I have four and I want alot more. James

Dennis Markham

Welcome James.  Looks like you are on your way to filling up the house with rotary dial phones.  This is a good bunch here on the forum who will do their best to help you out and answer your questions.

Dan/Panther

Jiggerman;
Welcome to the assylum !
I think you are going to need a bigger console.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

McHeath

A lot bigger! :D

Nice start to a collection.  That white 500 can be returned to it's original whiteness with either the hydrogen peroxide gel method or the sandpaper method. 

bingster

If the yellowing is caused by decades of nicotine deposits rather than UV exposure, a thorough scrubbing with scouring cleanser works wonders.  I've de-yellowed both pink and white by scrubbing with Bon Ami, followed by brass polish.
= DARRIN =

contraste

Welcome to the forum.

I'm a newbie too and I've found the members of this board to be knowledgeable and very friendly.

I wish there were garage sales in London where I could pick up some nice phones such as yours.

Lee

bingster

You need to get out in the countryside, contraste.  The antiques fairs on old episodes of Bargain Hunt always have great old phones.  There was an episode once that showed a stall that was loaded with 100/200 series phones, including several in red and green.  I was drooling at the sight.
= DARRIN =

contraste

Quote from: bingster on June 05, 2009, 05:20:04 AM
You need to get out in the countryside, contraste.  The antiques fairs on old episodes of Bargain Hunt always have great old phones.  There was an episode once that showed a stall that was loaded with 100/200 series phones, including several in red and green.  I was drooling at the sight.

You're right of course but the problem is that I like American phones.

I was going to be in North Carolina in August and I planned to scour the area for garage sales & etc. but my plans have changed and now it's going to be Connecticut instead of NC.

I guess I'll do the same there and look for likely places where old phones may be lurking.

Any tips would be much appreciated.

foots

Welcome from another newbie. Just to let you know early on, for phone collecting addictions, there is no cure.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

mienaichizu

Welcome James, that's a nice start for a collection, your AE80 in beige is very nice. Colored AE's are rarely found here in the Philippines