"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

501 ????

Started by marty, February 02, 2011, 03:57:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marty

Hi All;
I just got home from a friends place, and I hope to get His Old phone in about a week... Won't say I have it, till I have it in my hot little hands... The Back says 501 and a date of 7 56 (I think) I know its ?-56.. Anyway What is the Difference between a 500 and a 501 phone ?????
THANK YOU Marty

Kenny C

I think the 501 was for party lines and had a tube in it. But i am not sure.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Kenny C

Do you know what the code is 501-T? or something else. I have the tube for one of these if the tube has been removed.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

marty

Hi All;
The 501 is still in service and works, I made a call from it to see IF HE still had Dial Accessibility, which he Does. So the phone is still operational.... IT was put in just after the House was built... And at least NOW it is not Party line,, and it has his His origional Phone number printed on the phone Dial Card, which is the same number as He has now... So I can't say but most likely it was not party line, but could have been...
THANK YOU Marty

bingster

It's listed on Paul's site:

http://www.paul-f.com/we500typ.htm

There were several letter suffix variations, but it appears they were all originally designed for party line service.

Was the area where he lives once in the sticks or a big town?
= DARRIN =

marty

Hi All;
The area where He lives, was the first expansion for Boulder, and so they were Large lots... So it was at first a part of the city and yet possibly considered outskirts... But not rural... This is the first phone He had... I didn't think to take a picture of it... Next, time I get over there, in about a week, I can...
THANK YOU Marty

marty

Hi All;
I just talked to my friends Daughter, and She said that when She was a girl , that the line they had was a Party Line.. I Don't know when it got changed to a regular line... But, origionally it was a Party line, I guess they were considered out in the Stixs, or it was just cheaper...
THANK YOU Marty

jsowers

There were party lines in cities too. Oftentimes cities expanded by leaps and bounds. The available wires weren't capable of handling lines enough for everyone to have a private line, so they had to share. Later, when wire was available, they were able to change to private lines.
Jonathan