"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Bell Tech Journal

Started by marty, February 02, 2011, 07:43:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marty

Hi All;
I tried to Download the Bell Technical Journal, both last evening and last middle of the night (couldn't sleep)... I was able to get the directory and the individual article listings... But I could not get it to Download... It was Slower Than Molasas, and I think my system timed Out.... Is it that they have such a large amount of people downloading, or is it my system  or something else ?????????????? There are alot of Articles I want to download and read.... Or is there another site to Download from ????
THANK YOU Marty

Phonesrfun

A couple of people on the ATCA and/or TCI listserve have set up a better site than the one you are referring to.  It is MUCH, MUCH, MUCH faster.

I have a favorite for it on my browser at home, but not on the computer I am currently using.  When I get home later this evening, I can point you to it, or maybe someone else here can point you to it.

I would have thought that Alcatel/Lucent or whoever they are now would have sped up their web site by now.
-Bill G

Wallphone

Marty, From what site did you try to download it from?

HarrySmith

Here is the phone club site: http://www.telephonecollectors.info/
Tons of good stuff there!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

marty

Hi All;
I still have not been able to find anything from your link... I have used the link to lucent -- bsjt. bell-labs or something like that....
THANK YOU Marty

Phonesrfun

For those who are interested in the BSTJ mirror website, wich runs far, far faster than the Alcatel/Lucent website, I have the information on how to get there.

The Bell system Technical Journals were published by Bell Labs and over many years covers anything electrical and scientific, including, of course the development of the model 500, but also articles written in the 1930's on such mundane things as antisidetone circuits, and then into the later years covers things like microwaves, radar, the invention of the transistor, and many, many other things.  In fact much of it will put the best of readers to sleep with scientific and mathematical mumbo jumbo that only Einstein would have understood.

These are very large pdf files and require a high speed connection for the best results.  The original site hosted by Lucent is terribly slow.  You'd think that a communications company could do better than that.

Another person has taken it upon himself to mirror the Alcatel/Lucent site on his own website running far faster.

While he very much wants everyone to be able to enjoy the wealth of information, he does not want me posting the link and password in an open forum where spiders and othe web crawlers can get ahold of the information and eat up his bandwidth.

So, anyone who wants to visit the site needs to contact me for the link and user name and password, and anyone who does needs to agree not to post the information in any open forum as well.

If you want to contact me for this information, please either PM me here on this forum, or send me an e-mail to

billgeurts@gmail.com

Respectfully,

Bill
-Bill G

marty

Hi All;
THANK YOU Bill....
THANK YOU Marty