"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

*Got My Panasonic PBX

Started by RotaryRose, July 30, 2011, 05:21:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigdaddylove

This is a great thread!

Does anyone have handy a list of PBXs that operate similarly to the Panasonic KXTA308?

I am really intrigued with setting up something like this for the house. However, since I live in a condo, it won't be as easy to run the wiring. If we get a house, you can bet I'd set something like this up without haste.

AE_Collector

Quote from: bigdaddylove on August 16, 2011, 02:30:27 PM
you can bet I'd set something like this up without haste.

Thats EXACTLY how I do everything around here...without haste!

Your condo still likely has a point where all the phone wires come together unless it has a single telephone wire looping through several jacks. Put a PBX where all the wires come together. As long as your inside wire has at least 4 conductors you could change the jacks to double jacks and leave the main phone line working on one of the jacks in each plate and make the other jack a station on the PBX. That way you are covered for all options.

Terry

gpo706

This is a great thread!

Does anyone have handy a list of PBXs that operate similarly to the Panasonic KXTA308?

I am really intrigued with setting up something like this for the house. However, since I live in a condo, it won't be as easy to run the wiring. If we get a house, you can bet I'd set something like this up without haste.

There's three basic models of Pana "Hybrid" systems, the 308 (3 CO lines in - 8 out), the 616 (6 in, 16 out), the 1232 (12 in, 32 out).

Each outputs 4 REN per extension, so quadruple your number of powered phones on shared extensions.

I'm not familiar with the later systems, some of them are tone only or digital, and they look rather more involved than your 308/616/1232's
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

bigdaddylove

I'm a little confused, I've seen them referred to as KXT and KXTA; is there a difference?

What is a Panasonic Easa-phone 308 with modular switching?

Thanks!

GG

All Panasonic PBXs that handle 2500 sets will also handle rotary phones.  The part numbers can be confusing as heck.  For example the old VA series does not handle single line sets, but the new KX-TDA series does (rotary included). 

KX-TA is the current "open market" model with basic PBX features.

KXTDA, TDE, and NCP, are the current "certified dealer" models with more powerful PBX features.

One of these days when I get my photography & shipping routines together, I'll post a price list for new & reconditioned examples. 

Doug Rose

Quote from: GG on September 19, 2011, 04:51:35 AM

All Panasonic PBXs that handle 2500 sets will also handle rotary phones.  The part numbers can be confusing as heck.  For example the old VA series does not handle single line sets, but the new KX-TDA series does (rotary included). 

KX-TA is the current "open market" model with basic PBX features.

KXTDA, TDE, and NCP, are the current "certified dealer" models with more powerful PBX features.

One of these days when I get my photography & shipping routines together, I'll post a price list for new & reconditioned examples. 
Just make sure you get one that has MODULAR connections and does not have to be tailed out to a 66 block.....Doug
Kidphone

GG

Or if you are looking to buy one that needs an amphenol connectorized tail-cord to 66-blocks, be sure you can order those parts from whoever is selling you the PBX.  

Doug Rose

Quote from: GG on September 20, 2011, 02:33:06 AM

Or if you are looking to buy one that needs an amphenol connectorized tail-cord to 66-blocks, be sure you can order those parts from whoever is selling you the PBX.  

Plus a 66 punch tool, cross wire and modular jacks for those of you who are not in the industry....it might be more cost effective going for the modular one. Just my humble opinion....Doug
Kidphone

AE_Collector

Well that is why they make both types. For the phone collector who just want plug in a few phones all in one room the modular PBX is likely best.

At my house EVERYTHING in the house is wired to an equipment room with everything terminated on BIX. I have a Norstar system that is all terminated on the BIX so it is dead easy to send Norstar stations or the real phone lines to any jacks in my house. I also have all my network cross connections as well as alarm system there on the BIX frame.

Terry

GG

But Doug, doesn't everyone here already have a full set of telco tools including climbing irons and safety harness, and tension gauges for adjusting crossbar switches? :-)

Amphenol-to-modular splitters are another possible solution; however these vary as to their internal wiring and one can't take for granted that the wiring will be correct.

Doug Rose

Kidphone

Owain

For those of us this side of the pond, neither amphenols nor modulars are particularly useful as we can't get the bits so easily.

We want krones!

(Or Jacks 404 for the oldies)

AE_Collector

Quote from: Doug Rose on September 21, 2011, 08:33:57 AM
Good point....my bad

Well not neccesarily....Modular is still going to be the best choice for most old phone collectors who don't have a basement full of PBX installation materials and tools. As you pointed out initially Doug, it is something that we should know about when chosing a system.

Terry

bigdaddylove

Quote from: bigdaddylove on September 18, 2011, 03:32:33 PM
I'm a little confused, I've seen them referred to as KXT and KXTA; is there a difference?

What is a Panasonic Easa-phone 308 with modular switching?

Thanks!

Well, it finally came today. It seems to be a Panasonic Easa-Phone KX-T30810. I am guessing that it is the older version of a KX-TA; this thing is huge!

Pretty cool, I'm glad it was only $10.00 ($19.00 for shipping) since I can't really wire our house due to it being a condo. Regardless, now I can buzz people in to the complex with a rotary phone (granted it is hooked up to the PBX).

bigdaddylove

Quote from: AE_collector on August 16, 2011, 07:00:04 PM
you can bet I'd set something like this up without haste.

Thats EXACTLY how I do everything around here...without haste!

Your condo still likely has a point where all the phone wires come together unless it has a single telephone wire looping through several jacks...

Terry

It's a loop system.