News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Auction (24 Cancelled: Listing Terminated) - Telephone Collection

Started by bingster, February 22, 2009, 04:48:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bingster

We've got quite an auction for this week's contest.  It's an entire collection of telephones, and it can be yours in one fell swoop.  There's something here from most American manufacturers:  Kellogg, Stromberg, A.E., W.E., North, Connecticut, Leich... It's all there.

So put on your thinking caps and break out the adding machines, gang.  What do you think this auction will bring?  Let's hear your guesses before the auction's end.

S C O R E B O A R D
$238.89 - DanĀ²
$340 - Dan/Panther
$450 - BDM
$475 - Bill Cahill
$500 - benhutcherson
$750 - mienaichizu
$800 - bingster
$1500 - McHeath
$3000 - HobieSport

<edit> Auction cancelled.
= DARRIN =

HobieSport

Holy Moly!  Them's some fine phones in there!
$3,000. is my half-educated guess, Bingster.

benhutcherson

Dan/Panther

Nothing jumps out as especially rare..

My guess $340.00.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

BDM

--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Perry

I bet those would bring lots more money if they were auctioned individually. I think they are going to cost way more than $25 to ship, too. Can anyone ID that aqua phone? It has a sort of Automatic Electric look to it.

Is anyone else depressed at the thought of their phones being liquidated in this way?

Dan/Panther

When I made my bid, I wasn't considering that the sum of the parts, is greater than the whole.
D/P

Dan/Panther

Quote from: Perry on February 22, 2009, 08:15:54 PM
Is anyone else depressed at the thought of their phones being liquidated in this way?

Perry;
You know it's rather funny that we think about our stuff after we've gone, as though we might come back later.
Death is the FINAL vacation, that we don't return home from.
D/P

Dennis Markham

Like with all possessions one accumulates, we are only the "keepers" of these phones.  It's just our turn at the moment to have them.  As I zoom into and past mid-life I think of this every time I drag more "stuff" home.  Eventually someone is going to have to drag it back out again.  It's depressing to go to an Estate sale and walk through someone's home and watch people pick through their life-long accumulations.  But that's life.  Just keep going forward and hope today's not THE day! :)

Dan/Panther

My Late Uncle Jim, always said; "If I can't take it with me I'm Not going".
He promised me afew things when i was younger, that I could have when he passed.
I recently asked my Aunt what ever happened to this or that. Her response was, You know I don't know what happerned to that !
Maybe he took it with him....?

D/P

Perry

It's not really losing the stuff, just that it seems not to be valued highly by whoever inherited it. It probably took some effort to put all that together, and it's all being auctioned as a group, without individual descriptions, etc.

Dennis Markham

That's right Perry, and there was probably a story with each piece.  But that bit of history died with the collector.  If one has the desire to catalog one's collection it helps---if there is someone to pass it down to that has an interest.

bingster

Quote from: Perry on February 22, 2009, 08:41:12 PMIt probably took some effort to put all that together, and it's all being auctioned as a group, without individual descriptions, etc.

That's why I like the way these are being auctioned off.  I think there's good mojo in having all these phones kept together.  If they were auctioned individually, they might bring more money, but the effort of the original collector would be lost.
= DARRIN =

Perry

I guess if you put it that way, it's nice that they are staying together (assuming that whoever buys them doesn't just split them for individual eBay sales).

I suppose that another option would be for whoever inherited the phones to put them all in a box at a yard sale for one of us to buy for a few dollars. Then we come full circle...

Dan/Panther

Like Laura Bush says on T.V.; "Be a mentor".
Then you have someone that knows you, and your collections value, and may keep most or at least a good portion of your collection together.

D/P