News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Bought a candlestick

Started by Nilsog, November 14, 2011, 11:13:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Sarge.....I have 3 hole original WE felt cover candlestick base Cover somewhere. Should I have know this $50 stick should have a "wood/metal 2-hole baseplate???" My 22 does not, my 10 does....Doug
Kidphone

Sargeguy

Doug, the screw in the shaft replaces the center screw in the baseplate.  So this would originally have had a wood/metal flat type plate on the bottom.  It looks like it could have been frankenphoned by the telco early on since the solid perch came a little later and the stem bolt is also the later type.  I know that they used up leftover parts and mixed them together for years, especially with independents, although this is a Bell System phone.  I am going to put my black 22 perch on this one and keep looking for the appropriate base plate.  A standard plate will do for the short term.  I have a 20-S with a re-painted perch, so this will kill two birds with one stone so to speak.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

I bought this one for parts-It appears to have original black painted parts including the 2-piece cup and thumbscrew.  If not,it still looks to be worth at least the $100 it cost me.  Here are some lightened pictures:

Here is a link the auction, eBay item 260899634327: 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260899634327&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:US:1123
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

wds

Looks like a another nice one.  Is the perch marked?
Dave

Sargeguy

I will know more when it arrives.  I imagine it is a 20-S if that paint is original.  I don't see any nickel showing through.  I think that a lot of the older black candlesticks went to the independents, and this one does not appear to be stamped PROPERTY OF ABT CO. just the patent dates.  I have been looking for an original black painted thumbscrew for a while now.  Those screws holding the transmitter in have me worried though.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

GG

Those screws holding the transmitter may be replacements, because a standard type of machine screw works for the transmitters on AE 21s, so probably something similar for WE. 

However it should be possible to either find replacement originals, or spray paint those flat black so they at least don't stand out quite so much. 

--

I recently scored a GPO 150 desk stand, and also an ITI version of same.  These are now lined up in my inbox, for after the AE step-base gets processed. 

Sargeguy

Thanks, what I meant to say is that the screws (and the line cord) are a sign that this phone has been monkeyed with at some point after its withdrawal from  service.  I just hope it wasn't stripped then repainted black or some other foolishness as part of a science project/school play prop etc.  I have plenty of replacement screws.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409