News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Can anyone guess what model this phone?

Started by mienaichizu, September 17, 2008, 01:18:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mienaichizu

This is another rotary phone I bought at a thrift shop in the Philippines. I don't know what model and make it is. There are no maker's label or model number inscribed on the phone. Can anyone guess what model it is?

Mark Stevens

Quote from: mienaichizu on September 17, 2008, 01:18:09 PM
This is another rotary phone I bought at a thrift shop in the Philippines. I don't know what model and make it is. There are no maker's label or model number inscribed on the phone. Can anyone guess what model it is?

At first I thought it might be a British phone, but upon doing a little net surfing I found one that looks almost exactly like it... a Toshiba rotary phone from the '80s!  Are there no markings on the phone, inside or out, that would indicate the maker?

HELLO CENTRAL

It is probably a Dutch or Danish phone.  The Ericson, Dutch I own has a similar dial.
HELLO CENTRAL.

Mark Stevens

Quote from: HELLO CENTRAL on September 17, 2008, 06:12:50 PM
It is probably a Dutch or Danish phone.  The Ericson, Dutch I own has a similar dial.

I think you might be onto something, HC!

mienaichizu

Quote from: Mark Stevens on September 17, 2008, 01:29:56 PM
Quote from: mienaichizu on September 17, 2008, 01:18:09 PM

At first I thought it might be a British phone, but upon doing a little net surfing I found one that looks almost exactly like it... a Toshiba rotary phone from the '80s!  Are there no markings on the phone, inside or out, that would indicate the maker?

nothing, only an "STC" initial marked on the baseplate of the phone

McHeath

I've seen similar phones that claim to be British or Aussie in origin.  Perhaps our friend down under might know.

bingster

I think it's going to turn out to be Australian.  There are a bunch of 'em on the Aussie eBay site.  Here's a snappy red one:

= DARRIN =

mienaichizu

Quote from: bingster on September 17, 2008, 11:54:01 PM
I think it's going to turn out to be Australian.  There are a bunch of 'em on the Aussie eBay site.  Here's a snappy red one:

It very much look alike in the picture you posted bingster, I think it is an Australian too, the wall cord connection is also the same, thanks for the info

HELLO CENTRAL

:D Since you ID'd it, Bingster do you get a prize.  ;D :D
HELLO CENTRAL.

bingster

I think I've nailed it down.  "STC" is "Standard Telephones and Cables Pty, Ltd.," an Australian company.  Here's just about everything you'd ever need to know about the company:

http://www.bobsoldphones.net/Pages/STCAustralia/STC%20Australia.htm

Great website, by the way, and one I don't think I've ever run across.
= DARRIN =

Mark Stevens

Quote from: bingster on September 18, 2008, 11:58:37 PM
I think I've nailed it down.  "STC" is "Standard Telephones and Cables Pty, Ltd.," an Australian company.  Here's just about everything you'd ever need to know about the company:

http://www.bobsoldphones.net/Pages/STCAustralia/STC%20Australia.htm

Great website, by the way, and one I don't think I've ever run across.

Fine detective work! The bingster always gets his man...

andre_janew

That domain is now for sale for the asking price of $785 US.