News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Why is this wired like this?

Started by Greg G., July 30, 2009, 02:49:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

I've been working on this phone a little at a time when the mood strikes me, and with the hot weather lately, that hasn't been too often.

But I have a large fan in my directly in front of my work bench, which helps, so I tinkered with it more this evening.

I haven't been getting a dial tone, and discovered that the red wire from the line cord on the inside of the phone was broken.  No problem, I thought.  But after hooking it back up, I still can't get a dial tone.

One thing about this is a previous owner used some of that gray stiff wire (or what ever it's called) to get it to work.  It has green, yellow, red and black.  Those were wired as you see in the picture (although the pic shows the red wire broken).

My question is, why are the yellow and black wires hooked to the phone, but not used on the biscuit?  I can only hear a clicking noise has I press the hook switch down and release it, but no dial tone.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Phonesrfun

Quote from: Brinybay on July 30, 2009, 02:49:40 AM

One thing about this is a previous owner used some of that gray stiff wire or whatever it's called to get it to work.  It has green, yellow, red and black.  Those were wired as you see in the picture (although the pic shows the red wire broken.

My question is, why are the yellow and black wires hooked to the phone, but not used on the biscuit?  I can only hear a clicking noise has I press the hook switch down and release it, but no dial tone.

Brinybay:

Nobody will know why it is wired the way it is.  You only need two wires to go to the phone, and those two will generally be red and green.  Red will usually go to L2, which is the elongated terminal in the corner, and the green will usually go to L1, which is the third one in from the corner.  On a rotary dial phone, it doesn't really matter which one is connected to which, but the red to L2 and green to L1 is the "norm".

The red and green wires will then connect to red and green in your terminal block you use to hook to the modular cord.  If that fails to produce dial tone, then something else is wrong, which would require a more detailed photo and some "try this, try that" exchange of e-mail.  However, the photo that you sent seems to indicate that other than the way the solid wire is hooked up, everything else seems to be in order.

-Bill
-Bill G

Phonesrfun

By the way, it seems that maybe the way it is currently hooked up, they are using black in place of the red wire on L2.  Try using black at the terminal block end instead of red and see if that works.

-Bill
-Bill G

Greg G.

So far I have progessed to this:  It has a dial tone, but it's very, very faint, I have to listen real hard.  Dials out, receives calls, but won't ring.  Transmitter works ok.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Phonesrfun

Brinybay:

OK,  On the network, the receiver is connected to the R and GN terminals.  the receiver wires are the two white wires coming out of the handset cord sheath.  There are another pair of white wires coming from the dial that connect to the two receiver white wires at R and GN.  Remove one of those dial white wires and see if you get dial tone.  If that does it, let me know and we can proceed with some dial adjustment.  If that does not do it, we will go on to yet another step.

Inside the dial is a set of contacts that are purposely intended to short out the receiver during dialing so you do not have to sit and listen to the loud and annoying dial pulses through the receiver.  If removing a white dial wire makes it so you do get dial tone, then try dialing a number with that wire still off, and you will hear what I am talking about.  Don't hold the receiver too close to your ear when you do.

-Bill
-Bill G