"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My New Monophone - Early AE 80

Started by makeyourownkarma, July 31, 2009, 03:28:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phonesrfun

Dan:

The AE90 wall phone is to the AE80 desk phone what the WE 554 wall phone is to the WE 500 desk phone.  Same guts, same ringer, same technology, same everything except the cover.  So, yes, the two sound identical, except for, of course the wall phone transmits physical vibrations from the ringer to the wall or surface it is mounted to.  This same concept is true of any wall phone.

-Bill Geurts
-Bill G

Dan

thanks for the info. I need to get an AE80 now, since I LOVE the sound of the AE90
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

HobieSport

I like the AE 80s, especially the older ones. They seem really well made and I like the look. That's a nice looking one you have there, Karma. And congrats on getting it working again.

Just wondering if you found a manufacturing date on it. Here's a pic of my Feb-1960 innards with the date:
-Matt

makeyourownkarma

Hello all.  I was away from the computer this weekend.

I am missing that logo and the date that your phone has.  So, I am not sure when this was made.  There is 7-63-21 stamped in ink on the bottom, though. 

It has a great ring!  Very crisp and classic sounding.

Phonesrfun

AE usually did month-year-day on their date stamps, just to be different, I guess.
Not the US "standard" or the European "standard"  Just AE "Standard".

-Bill G

HobieSport

The great sound of the AE ringers (gongs) in general have been commented on a lot in the forum. I don't know the actual "notes" (musical frequencies) of the AE gongs compared to the classic sounds of the WE 500s, etc.,but they do seem to have a higher and some how "lighter" pitch. Very pleasant.
-Matt

Dan

You are right, they sound higher pitched and prettier, while the WE's are louder with more punch.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright