"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Ericsson dial with last digit dialled indicator

Started by tubaman, July 14, 2019, 04:29:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tubaman

Quote from: andy1702 on July 19, 2019, 03:52:41 PM
I think I may have the standard version of one of these dials kicking around somewhere. If I remember right the pulses are done by two contacts squeezing on a flat disc with notches cut out of it. Am I right? If I am, then I may have got a disc in the parts box that could replace the current one. If you're willing to have a go at taking the dial apart that is!  :)

Hi Andy,
You are spot-on with your description and that's a very kind offer. If you look at my last photo you'll see that the pulse wheel I have has large cut-outs compared to the pulsing part. The one I need has small cut-outs and large pulsing parts (if that makes sense). I suspect the pulse wheel, clutch and gear shaft are made as one piece so I might need that whole part?
Taking it apart is a little daunting as I need to release the spring, but it doesn't look an insurmountable task.

James
:)

andy1702

So... I've dug out that dial I was talking about and found it's quite different to the one at the top of thos thread. However I suspect the part that needs to be changed might be the same. It was really easy to take out on mine as the photos below show.
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.

tubaman

Hi Andy,
That is indeed a very different dial. I suspect that part is different too as mine has a separate pulse wheel and metal clutch spring.

andy1702

I think you should take the plunge and dismantle it so we can have a proper look at it. Maybe mine is a later replacement in plastic? I got a big builders bag full of Ericsson bakelite phones a few years ago. When I went to pick them up I found they had been storred in the bag under a rotten piece of plywood in someone's garden! You can imagine the state they were in. However amongst them was a green one and an ivory one. No coloured handsets though, so I wonder if the handsets were always black?

I've managed to get two or three complete and working, but all the others need major work, so i have a long term project to reduce them all to component parts and then build phones up again from scratch from the parts bins. I think there should be 20-30 phones alltogether.
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.

19and41

What was the purpose behind having such an indicator?
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

rdelius

It would simplify things. An example would be a remote control for a radio circuit. You would dial a channel metering circuit and a step switch would select the channel to be metered. With this dial, the pointer would tell you which circuit you dialed. without it, you would need a local step switch with an indicator of what you dialed. This would run up costs

19and41

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

ma_xyz

Mine arrived a week ago but I just now found time to have a closer look at it.

It is identical (as expected) to tubaman's. It also had a similar problem that it did not working initially. Unfortunately the clutch of the pulsing wheel is not only bent, but broken away on one side. I replaced it with the (normal, not the make instead of brake) pulsing wheel from a similar Ericsson dial.

The dial now works with the "normal" pulsing wheel. I did put it into an Ericsson type "DBH 1001" instrument. To make it work I need to rewire it, the dial is wired for additional contacts with four wires to the phone, my Ericsson uses a simpler setup with less contacts and only three wires. Will do asap and report back.

The number indicator is protected by a transparent plastic shell. When starting dialling the indicator "jumps" to a position just below the 1 and is then dragged back at the dialled position when the dial rotates back. Still wondering what the original use would have been.

HarrySmith

Those dials are very cool. Glad you got it working, good thing for spare parts! I learned early on in this hobby: DO NOT THROW ANYTHING AWAY! You never know what you will need one day. I have a large collection of spare parts today but that presents 2 different problems. 1) Where to put it all  2) Where did I put that little dial thingy I saved 2 years ago? ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

tubaman

Hi Michael,

I'm glad your dial has turned out well too.  I suspect these were originally for non-phone use - some kind of test equipment perhaps?
It certainly looks the part in the DBH 1001 you've placed it in.
I'll have to find a phone for my one, but until then it's an interesting curiosity piece.

Babybearjs

Interesting dial.... too bad no one else used that feature!
John

ma_xyz

Hi James

Thanks again for finding this gem!!
It is still not mounted finally, hope I can soon do the required rewiring.
I hope you find a suitable phone for mounting it soon.

Br
Michael

Jack Ryan

I found a use for the dial - it is a control function as expected.

Regards
Jack

FABphones

Crikey Jack, how did you manage to come across that. Good detective work. Telephone Rentals too. I would never have guessed.

Quote from: tubaman on August 09, 2019, 01:34:42 PM
I'll have to find a phone for my one, but until then it's an interesting curiosity piece.

Well now we know it wasn't mounted in a phone I might be able to help you out with a mount for it. Not the same as that in the photo (taken from the pdf added by Jack), but I do have a metal dial mount, believed to have come out of a lift. It is quite a chunk of metal but you might be able to do something with it to suit. Yours for the cost of shipping if you want it. PM me if interested and I'll get a photo of it sorted.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Jack Ryan

Quote from: FABphones on September 30, 2019, 07:57:46 PM
Crikey Jack, how did you manage to come across that. Good detective work. Telephone Rentals too. I would never have guessed.

I've had an eye open for any use of that dial for ages (years) and when Paul Seward-Prior posted some scanned documents, I looked through them looking for anything I am "keeping an eye out for" and found it.

https://storage.googleapis.com/telephonerentals-catalogue/index.html

One down, many to go.

Regards
Jack