News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Cross-Connection Colors.... do they matter?

Started by Babybearjs, December 15, 2018, 02:17:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

well, I have been wiring in my intercom system and decided to add a 549 4 button key to my system for a multiroom call button. so, I'm having to make cross- connects and am wondering??... does the wire color of the cross-connect matter? who knows the answer to this, or does it even matter?
John

Key2871

Can you be more specific? Ate you referring to set wires, or what.
KEN

Babybearjs

the wire colors. do you need to keep the colors consistent? when making cross connects, does it matter?
John

CanadianGuy

There is what's called a 25 pair color code, but in your case, I'm assuming you mean polarity for a single pair? I heard that only very old phones are polarity sensitive, but I'm not sure why.

Jim Stettler

For punch down blocks always stay consistent on the colors used for specific purposes. You will get confused otherwise.
-------------------------------------------
You can use some 4 pair to make custom cross connects.
Blue/white for talk
Orange/white for signal
Brown/white  for power
That leaves the green pair, you can also add standard yellow/blue and red/white cross connect wire if you want to for other purposes.

Most old boards used yellow/blue cross connects with red/white on special circuits.
The key is to print and post a wiring key for your system. Next year when you change things around, you will be happy you did.
JMO,
Jim S.

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Babybearjs

:) Jim, Thank you. that's what I was asking. I've run into issues when I've done something and the colors change. (like going from a 25 pair cable to a 4 pair cable and trying to keep thing consistent) anyway, thank you. 
John

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Babybearjs on December 15, 2018, 10:34:59 PM
:) Jim, Thank you. that's what I was asking. I've run into issues when I've done something and the colors change. (like going from a 25 pair cable to a 4 pair cable and trying to keep thing consistent) anyway, thank you. 
When I used to split a 25 pair to 4 pair, I would follow 4 pair colors along the 25. Meaning I would follow my 4 pair starting at the 1st available pair on the 25 pair
The contractor I worked for owned the 25 pair to the far   contractor yard. There were 2 other yards ahead of ours. We would charge for pairs to the first contractor in each yard and then he charged the next contractor. They knew I liked  phones so I did all the connections whenever a new contractor brought in their trailer.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,

robert_m

Standard 25 Pair chart as FYI, but also agree as many system 25/75 systems use the white/brown / brown/white pair as power. (RJ45) 
Merlin systems used the pair for the voice intercom path, technically system 75/25 with bis sets only needed rj12 not rj45 jacks, depending on if adjustants needed or not or admin console. or other
accessories, but they were shipped with rj45 on voice terminal so they were usable on both systems.  Made many rj12 to rj45 cords for customers becuase of exsisting wireing on 25/75 systems (PAIN).  Merlins need all 4 pair period on digital and analog bis sets.

On INBOUND LOOPSTART (standard POTS) lines in the primary color FIRST color would be TIP, the SECOND color in chart in pair is RING.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: robert_m on December 16, 2018, 12:50:50 AM
Standard 25 Pair chart as FYI, but also agree as many system 25/75 systems use the white/brown / brown/white pair as power. (RJ45) 
Merlin systems used the pair for the voice intercom path, technically system 75/25 with bis sets only needed rj12 not rj45 jacks, depending on if adjustants needed or not or admin console. or other
accessories, but they were shipped with rj45 on voice terminal so they were usable on both systems.  Made many rj12 to rj45 cords for customers becuase of exsisting wireing on 25/75 systems (PAIN).  Merlins need all 4 pair period on digital and analog bis sets.

On INBOUND LOOPSTART (standard POTS) lines in the primary color FIRST color would be TIP, the SECOND color in chart in pair is RING.
I chose brown/white for power because it is the last pair, If I chose to add red/white into the mix on a home brew system, I would use it for power. Yellow/blue for talk
I also use the brighter conductor as positive  on all circuits.
The color codes mentioned are my opinion for a home brew home system.

If you are hooking up a system I would follow the manf. layout. If you follow their color code, then troubleshooting is easy.

JMO,
Jim S.
The key is setting a standard and following it.
You live, You learn,

AT2796

I would agree with Jim S. in following the mfgrs instructions, but being new around here and not knowing who is industry (or in which part thereof) and who has no excuse for the illness, I would say use what you know.
All of my non standard wiring is OSP pic color code or old IW (red/green, yellow/black). That is what I know and won't forget.
YMMV...
Andy

Jim Stettler

Opinion:
You should always maintain a consistent color-code per  site.
You should always post the key to your color code.
With theses principals  in mind, I doesn't matter the nomenclature you use. just be consistent and log the key.
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,

robert_m

Yeap and to my points on standard merlin / legend systems - follow standard wiring and be consistant.  The reference was 25 pair proper ordering and if their providing co lines what they would be.

Residential slightly diffrent as rarely will you have 4 pair, generally it was 2 or 3 pair only.  (NOTE COMMENT - GENERALLY)

So you have to consider that and really old homes may only have 3 wires - as i seen many times in chicago area red, green, black from CO.

Babybearjs

Thank you all for the comments! it really helps! my system is setup using Cat5e 4 pair cables. when I redesigned the system I wanted to follow the 25 pair color scheme. I found last year through www.deepsurplus.com that I could order cat5e cable in multiple color choices. at that time, they offered boxes with 250, 500, or 1000 foot spools. so I opted for my basic colors: Blue, Orange, Green, and Brown. that have me 16 pairs of cabling and I reserved gray for my Ethernet wiring. (I went with the 500 foot spools of each color cable.) so... they layout is as follows: The blue cable is 1R 1T 1H AG 1L LG 2R and 2T. and the orange, green and brown cables continue the sequence. I found that by the time I had terminated line 5 I had the brown pair left over in the green cable, so I used it for power taps. (10 and 18 VAC) the brown cable is strictly for the intercom buzzers and 549 button pad, when used. the main reason for asking this question was that I'm doing cross-connects for the signaling circuits and wasn't sure if color mattered. my system is pretty custom and quite versatile. I have phones all over the house, in my shed, and even in the carport. If I ever sell this place, someone is gonna have one hell of a nice layout for their own system, if used... a custom whole house multiline telephone system is pretty rare these days and makes for easy upgrades down the road! of course, when the house is ever sold they key telephone system will be removed, and no one else would use it thanks to those damned cell phones! but the wiring would be left behind and that way someone else could enjoy all my hard work.... if they knew how! anyway... that's my story for now... thank you all!
John

robert_m

Pretty funny, I did same when i moved where i line in 2005, 3 4 pair cables, gray, red, and green to every room in home to server as PBX (I have merlin legend presently, but when did it had a system 75 - Yes in my home) 1 specifically for ethernet and running power from our synced clocks n all the bedrooms and main rooms, and one as a spare for alarm or whatever needed tp copper (since didnt want to have to run miles of wire twice) same my shed has same. Also ran 2 rg 6 cables to each room - when your moving in with no furnature mach easier to get all wiring done before hand..... :) 

Babybearjs

oh yes... but then, did you have to crawl under the house at all to run your wires? I did! Yuck, and the cobwebs were nasty!
John