News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

$5 Western Electric B3: Can it be saved?

Started by phonium, August 15, 2020, 07:07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phonium

Earlier today at The Olde Telephone Company I got this B3 for $5, as it is mostly coated in rust.
I will do the best I can to bring this piece of history back to its former glory.
George Amores
ATCA#4857

Key2871

Wow, that's rough.. That's going to be a lot of work.
Good luck
KEN

FABphones

Great project. Does it have it's baseplate? Anything inside? More photos needed.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

MMikeJBenN27

It can be saved.  It is made of Aluminum or Pot Metal, so that is dirt, not rust.  You just need to have some 300 or finer grit sand paper and know how to spray paint.

Doug Rose

I think it is rust and corrosion. This will be very hard to make it look displayable. Is there a cover? That is worth the $5....good luck...Doug
Kidphone

Key2871

Yes corrosion is same as rust, but in ways can be worse. Because if it eats through, well that's not good.
It can be real difficult to get things moving without things breaking.
KEN

FABphones

I would certainly have picked it up.

Needs some thought, some spares, and a few hours spent on it, but to me, doesn't look tooooo difficult.

Remember, plenty of threads on here to help. And if you get stuck on something, ask.

Keep this thread up to date with how you get on phonium.

:)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

phonium

I am hopeful, as I was able to get the dial blank off in one piece. It didn't have a baseplate.
Picture of the inside attached, also picture of the hookswitch that is in 3 pieces and rusted to the body. That I am not so hopeful about.
George Amores
ATCA#4857

Desert Phone Guy

The bottom base below the handset perch were always pressed Steel, and subject to rust and pitting.  The perch part usually subject to corrosion.   It is definitely a project phone.

phonium

They are having a big closing sale, so some very cheap stuff. If you are near Newport I would recommend going there.
George Amores
ATCA#4857

phonium

What is the best way to try and remove some of the rust? I was told 3-in-1, but was wondering if there was a better thing
George Amores
ATCA#4857

Desert Phone Guy

Bead Blasting gets it, but then you have to refill the pits that the rust has eaten into the metal.

countryman

Not phones, but with other rusted/corroded parts I had luck submerging them in diesel fuel or heating oil for a couple of weeks. It loosens corrosion product and creeps deep into seized structures.
It's a bit nasty to handle though.

MMikeJBenN27

With those additional pictures, I guess it would not be worth trying to save.  If you can get the cradle of though, the lower round part of the body might be salvageable, and if you find a cradle, you can make a complete phone.

Mike

Argee

Quote from: phonium on August 16, 2020, 06:20:33 PM
What is the best way to try and remove some of the rust? I was told 3-in-1, but was wondering if there was a better thing

How about an acid soak?  I'd remove the brass pieces first if possible.  I use phosphoric acid a lot for rust removal.